Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 49

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 49

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 201
Heaven is on Its Way by Miaka1977j






Your donations help keep this site running,
thank you very much for the support!
[Reviews - 25]
Table of Contents
- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

First off, I would like to thank everyone for their patience.  I had to take a long break to be active with my children, plus my youngest daughter recently turned one.  Combine that all with work, and you have a recipe for not too much time!  I truely appreciate the reviews I have received, thank you all so much.

 

Thank you to my beta, NoMoreThanUsual.  I can't even tell you how excited I was when I received your feedback.  You rock!

 

 


Jacob rode in the passenger side of the truck, while Billy, his father, drove. Jake was lost in his thoughts about the girl he had dinner with tonight. She had looked so sad, so lost. His instinct was to fold her into his arms and tell her it would all be ok. He knew he couldn’t do that; she would have probably hit him with a frying pan if he tried. For a few moments though, he had gotten past that wall she had built. He saw life in her eyes, a sparkle. He wondered how one person could destroy so much, or not even care of the damage he caused. A sneer and a low growl escaped him.


Billy turned towards his son, with a look of fear, and pride. “Something wrong, son?” he asked. He knew his son was very fond of Charlie’s girl. He also knew Charlie’s girl was living in a world of hurt. Something dark held her soul that much he was sure of. He knew the stories of the Cullens, and believed them. The treaty had not been broken, so he could rest easy knowing that.


“I just don’t understand. Their relationship didn’t last that long, but you would think someone died,” Jake told his father.


“Maybe something was dead all along,” Billy answered. He heard Jacob scoff, and he saw him roll his eyes. “It won’t be long until he knows all the stories are true,” he thought to himself.


“Whatever, Dad. Really though, how could he leave her like that? Why would she care so much about someone who would just leave her? I would never do anything like that.”


“People do strange things, son. As for Bella, well, she just needs some time to heal. Eventually she will come back to the light.” Billy turned up the radio when Jake didn’t answer, and just let the boy have his thoughts.


Jake sat, silent for the rest of the ride home. He couldn’t get her out of his mind, and honestly, he found he didn’t want her out of his mind. He felt a strong connection to her, and always had. When she had first come home, he really wanted to spend more time with her. He lost his chance then, but he was determined not to lose it twice.

 


Bella had waked early, and gently closed her window. She always slept with it open, her hope of all hopes being that she would awaken to find Edward in her room. She felt really rested to her surprise, and wanted to get a head start on some errands she had been putting off. She took a quick shower, and went downstairs to prepare a simple breakfast for Charlie. She didn’t expect him to be awake and wanted to leave something he would be able to heat up. She jumped back slightly to find him sitting in a chair, eating a bowl of cereal.


“Morning, Bells. You’re up early.” Charlie looked up from his newspaper. He hadn’t seen Bella out of her room before noon on the weekend, never mind showered and dressed to go out.


“Yeah, um, morning. I was going to fix you some breakfast, and then head out.” Bella started straightening the already clean counters. She was not expecting Charlie to be up this early. Even though they had been living together for a little over a year, she still felt a little awkward trying to make conversation with him.


“You have plans with your friends for today?” Charlie asked hopefully.


“No, just some errands to run. I’ve been putting some things off. You need anything taken care of while I am out?”


“Actually, I do. Can you stop by Billy’s and drop off his tools that he let me borrow? I can get them together for you in a minute.”


Bella’s heart jumped something she hadn’t felt in a long time. She was nervous about going to the Blacks' and seeing Jake. She had no reason to be nervous, she told herself. She got herself a bowl of cereal while she waited for Charlie to gather the items.


“Here you go, kid. Thanks, and tell Billy I will call him later.” With that, Charlie left the room, a small smile on his face. “Sometimes,” he thought to himself, “people just need a little nudge in the right direction.”

 


Bella had dropped off her dry cleaning, finished the shopping, and checked her upcoming schedule at Newton’s. All she had left was tools to drop off. She drove to La Push, rolled down her window, and felt the wind blow through her hair. Sadness engulfed her as she remembered the last time wind had really blown through her hair was when Edward would carry her through the woods, to their meadow. Tears fell down her face, and she turned on the radio trying to get her mind off of Edward. What she really wanted to do was turn her truck around and go back to the safe seclusion of her room. She knew she had to drop off the tools for Charlie, but she didn’t want to have to see anyone.


She wiped her face as she pulled into the reservation. She didn’t see Billy’s truck in the driveway, and she breathed a sigh of relief. At least she could just drop the tools off at the door and get back home. She got out of her truck, walked to the front door and bent down, leaving the package at the door. As she was standing back up, the door opened with a shirtless Jacob staring at her. Her eyes took in the sight in front of her, and she drew in a deep breath. His body was on its way to being chiseled, and she couldn’t help but compare Jake to the only other male she had seen shirtless. Jake was so different, so… alive.


“Doesn’t UPS at least knock on the door?” he said and smiled at her.


“Oh! I didn’t think anyone was home,” Bella blushed. “I was just going to leave this here.”


“Well, I’m home. You wanna come in?” Jake asked as he walked away, not giving her the chance to say no.


“Sure, I can’t stay too long though; I have to get back home.” Bella walked through the door, closing it behind her. She felt uncomfortable being along with him. Jake threw on a t-shirt that was lying on the back of a chair. Bella felt a little disappointed at this, but brushed it off. “I have no business thinking of Jake like that,” she thought to herself.


“Hey, Bells, come see what I am working on!” he said excitedly, grabbing her hand and pulling her towards the garage. He brought her back there and uncovered the Volkswagen he was rebuilding. He was a blur of energy, explaining parts, and the work he had already accomplished. She found herself relaxing around him, listening to everything he was saying. It was all Greek to her, but the energy was contagious, and soon she found herself asking questions. He happily explained everything she could want to know, and then some. Time seemed to stop for Bella, for the first time in a long time. She forgot about the pain, the darkness, the loneliness. She felt warm with Jake. She turned and saw a clock, and realized an hour and a half had passed since she got there.


“Oh no! I have to get home! My groceries are probably melting.” She couldn’t believe so much time had passed.


Jake came around, and took her in his arms. “I hope you come back,” he whispered into her hair, breathing in her scent. He felt her stiffen, and he hoped he didn’t scare her away for good.


Bella was taken aback. She hadn’t been held in what felt like an eternity, and suddenly she was in Jake’s arms, breathing him in. Part of her wanted to run, to turn and never see him again. Another part wanted to return his gesture, to not feel so broken. “Thanks for showing me everything. Talk to you later.” She managed to at least get some words out while she broke out of the embrace.


She got into her truck and pulled out. Her mind was full of so many things. For the first time in a long time, she honestly had a good time with someone. She wasn’t sure what it was about Jake, there was just something that called to her. She passed Billy driving in on her way out and raised her hand in greeting.


Billy called to Jake when he walked through the door. “Hey, was Bella here?” he asked.

Jake seemed different right now, like someone on a mission.  “Yeah, she dropped off some tools you had lent Charlie.” Jake turned around back towards the garage.


“I didn’t…” Billy started to say, and then chuckled. “Charlie may not be the wordiest of men,” Billy thought, “but when he had something to say he had other ways to show it.” Billy laughed to himself.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

I again want to thank those who have taken the time to review.  It really helped to get me motivated to get back into the swing of things!  You are all awesome, and I promise this time there will not be so much time in between updates!