Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 49

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 201
Parallax by prohacvice






Your donations help keep this site running,
thank you very much for the support!
[Reviews - 18]
Table of Contents
- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This story will involve two important shifts. First, the focal point is no longer Bella, but rather the events are told through the eyes of August Gregg, who we meet as an Inn Keeper at a small establishment on the coast of Maine. Second, I seek to develop Emmett a little more fully.

Twilighted Beta:qjmom

Author's Chapter Notes:

Emmett and Rosalie have checked in to a small Inn on the coast of Maine. One of them will not survive the first night.


It was a night of bad decisions.

 

Angus leapt up from his sleeping spot near the wood stove barking ferociously. I sat there stunned as he placed his paws on the window sill and continued to bark at something outside on the lawn.

 

“What is it boy?” I asked moving toward the window. Angus wasn’t much of a watch dog really. The only real danger a burglar would face meeting up with him is being drowned in friendly slobber. This kind of outburst was way out of character. It was pitch black outside and I couldn’t see anything.

 

I hit the switch for the outside lights, and was immediately sorry I had. It was my first bad decision.

 

Lights on the side of the house and the barn came to life and uncovered the scene that had set Angus off. The Cullen woman was being set upon by three … well, things. Angus dropped down from the window whining. The fight had gone out of him and I couldn’t blame him.

 

Earlier in the day when Rosalie and Emmett Cullen had checked in, I was immediately aware that they were extraordinary folks. I watch a fair amount of television, but I was sure that I’d never seen a better looking pair. Visually stunning and with voices that could talk a dog off a meat wagon. At this time of year they were my only guests, and oh boy was I looking forward to seeing them around the place.

 

But the scene through the window was right out of the SciFi channel. Rosalie tore a fence post out the ground and swung it wildly. A fence post. Out of the ground. The three of them sneered and circled her. Post or none, she was in trouble.

 

Instead of calling the police and hiding under the bed, I went for my gun rack. It was my second bad decision.

 

I heard a scream and a series of crashes outside as I fumbled with my keys. I kept the rack locked at all times. I figured that so long as I had the keys on me, I’d be able to get what I needed pretty quick. Of course that didn’t take into account the idea that I would be peeing-my-pants scared when I needed to open it up.

 

With the rack finally open, and all hell breaking lose outside, I reached for my CZ-550. I had no idea what those things were, but the 550 could bury a shell six feet into solid oak, and if anything was going to stop them, well, this should. I loaded five cartridges, the most it would hold, and dropped a handful into my pants pocket. Rifle in hand I headed outside to save the lovely lady. It was my third bad decision.

 

I couldn’t have been away from the window for more than three minutes total, but when I stepped out into the night, the scene had changed dramatically. The first thing that I noticed was that there was a huge hole in the side of the barn. Then I saw Emmett fighting with two of the things, and the third literally tearing apart Rosalie.

 

No more waiting, I pulled my rifle up and aimed straight at the creature’s mid section. I inhaled and fired. At six feet two inches and two hundred and eighty pounds, I’m a pretty solid guy, but the recoil from the shot knocked me back a pace. The round hit the thing standing over Rosalie square in the back and sent it flying. The sound of the gun and seeing the creature flying several yards forward caused Emmett and the other two creatures to freeze for a moment.

 

Foolishly confident, I ordered, “Alright now that’s about enough. Now everyone just step away from each other.” One of the creatures snarled at me with a mouth full of bloody teeth, and then they both set upon Emmett again.

 

To my horror, the creature I had shot stood up and faced me.

 

There was a fist sized hole right through his mid section, and he took a step towards me. “Jeezuss,” I muttered as I pulled my rifle up again. He took two more steps and I fired on the third. His head exploded as the round hit him, and the creature went down again.

 

The other two had gotten Emmet to the ground and were tearing at him as he screamed in rage and pain. I dropped to one knee and aimed again. I fired and caught one of them in the shoulder. His left arm was blown off and the force of the bullet tore him off Emmett and sent him flying back towards the barn.

 

Not waiting this time, I ran forward and aimed that creature lying on the ground. It was still twitching when I pulled my rifle up again and shot it in the head, blowing it apart like I had the first.

 

Then without warning I was struck from behind as if hit by a truck. I was slammed to the ground face down and felt a deep bite tearing into my right shoulder. It felt as if my insides were being sucked out as the flesh around the wound burned. I think I screamed.

 

I was hit again and sent tumbling, and then I was able to piece together what had just happened. The last creature had pounced on me from behind, and then Emmett had gotten up and knocked him off of me. As they fought, I tried to get back on my feet.

 

My shoulder burned where the creature had bit into me, and I wondered if I’d been poisoned. I spied my rifle on the ground and scrambled to get it. The creature had gotten the best of Emmett, who in fairness had been in pretty bad shape to start.

 

I put four new cartridges into my rifle and then aimed it at the last creature. My first shot hit it in the lower back, in what should have been a devastating strike. Unbelievably the creature steadied itself with its arms and pounced at me from twenty feet away. Pure reflex saved me as I fired without thinking or aiming, catching the creature square in the chest in mid air.

 

The pain in my shoulder was getting worse, as if someone was plunging a hot poker inside me. I went over to the third and last creature and fired into its head.

 

I stumbled over to where Emmett lay. “Mr. Cullen!” I shouted and shook him. “Are you o.k.?” A stupid question really, but it was what came out. He was bleeding in several places where his skin had been torn to the bone.

 

Emmett opened his eyes, and grabbed my arm. He grabbed hard with an almost injuring grip. “You must burn them,” he said. “Burn the bodies quickly.” And he lapsed back into unconsciousness.

 

“Jeezuss,” I muttered.

 

But I was sufficiently terrified that he could have told me to do anything and I likely would have gone about the task. I went into the barn and grabbed a five gallon gas can with my left hand. My right arm was now completely useless and the pain was spreading.

 

One by one I doused the freakishly twitching creatures with gasoline using up every drop. I set them alight, narrowly missing catching myself in the fire.

 

I stood and looked around. What had been Rosalie was now a mere carcass that had been torn to shreds. Emmett was in bad shape and probably dead. It seemed to me that I probably wasn’t far behind him. I left the rifle where it lay and started back towards the house. I needed help. I needed to get to the phone.

 

I didn’t make it. As I let go of consciousness the last thing I remember was Angus whimpering next to me.