Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 368

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - Do people avoid OC stories?

Do people avoid OC stories?

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

Re: Do people avoid OC stories?

Postby Sylvianna on Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:22 am

alexajaye wrote:The thing about this particular fandom I've discovered is that all the stories I've read are all the same.

Unfortunately, I must agree. It is a rare day and also a happy one when you find an author exploring a plot that differs from the girl meets boy, things are not easy because he is either a promiscuous person or has a girlfriend named Tanya who is the biggest "bitch without reason", misunderstandings happen, boy and girl suffer and then it all magically solves itself so that boy and girl can get married, have 2.5 kids, a big house (because money it's never a problem if the Cullens are being involved) and a perfect family who all dress in designer clothes.

alexajaye wrote:They all have the same characters.

Agreed, provided we're talking about the more succesful stories.

alexajaye wrote:They all have the same plot. Some of them all have the same settings.

Again, agreed. Might be because this is what people generally feel as the epitome of happiness in the modern world and also because most of them, understandably, write by drawing from what they know (i.e. the continental US). That's why I find it nice when I see people writing stories set in the UK (I can relate better to those), in WWII Europe, in Africa, or somewhere else in the world. It's a nice change, though I admit that reading so many fanfics set in the US have helped me understand how life is in this particular country a lot better in terms of how things work (highschool, college, the justice system, etc. as well as the more general idiosyncrasy of people from the US). I still think that there are many ways of spicing up a story in the US to make it a bit different. Authors just need to think about issues present in the modern world or introducing elements from genres different to the "boy meets girl" kind of romance.

It's also nice when characters, while still being in canon, are given a certain spin. For instance, Alice being creative in different ways instead of clothes or actually showing shopaholism for what it is: a clinical addiction or impulse control disorder, something I think people have glorified unconsciously- beginning with Stephanie Meyer, although at least she brought in the consideration of how it helped "the economy" and how most of the things they bought in terms of clothes and food were actually donated to people in disadvantaged situations-. It's something, at least, though I don't think it is the best way of helping them in the long term. But that's a topic for a different forum, I think.

Unfortunately, those stories are few and not easy to find.

alexajaye wrote: I've probably said it before in other threads on other forums, but almost all of the stories have the same "will they/won't they" crap that was never an issue in the series to begin with.

I agree it's very off-puting. The general problem that fanfic authors face is that certain plots or approaches were very succesful in the past, so everyone has assumed that they're the magic formula to success (BDSM being a perfect example of this).

alexajaye wrote:Whether SM meant to, she created a formula for anyone who wanted to take her characters and put them in a different "universe" but still have the same outcome.

Agreed, this is one of the few settings where I actually like All Human stories (if they're well written and don't have Alice having visions without a supernatural explanation for it :-P). It doesn't work for me in other settings, in which I feel that what a character is has such a big influence in the way it behaves that you cannot dissociate it from the original setting.

alexajaye wrote:My favorites are the ones where someone from our world stumbles into Twilight through no other means than the writer's way of saying, "yeah, that could work." What I really find amazing is that a lot of the stories I've read with this premise have gotten a big response -- probably good and bad.

Well, I would give a story with this premise a chance if it was well written and the OC character was essential to the plot without wanting to take over someone else's role in the story (you know what I mean?). The premise of a real life person stumbling into the story is something that works fantastically well in The Neverending Story (a story I think had an impact in many of us while being children) and that draws from the understandable feeling a reader has when loving a story and wanting to be a part of it, to be able to get to know the characters the reader loves and help them when things go wrong.

But it has to be really well-done, the OC must have a reason for being there other than taking Bella's place to fullfil the author's fantasy of getting Edward for herself or become the most powerful character in the world (essentially, Mary-sueing). It should be approached with honesty and humility. I could understand an author wondering "what would happen if a Twilight reader saw all the mistakes that were being made by the characters and wished he/she was there to help them" but, in that case, I would expect the OC not wanting to overstep its own role in the story. I also would expect the author to consider that every action has a reaction and what the OC character in this instance would regard as helping might backfire. I would expect the author to approach the inclusion of that OC not as a magical wand to sort everything out so canon characters don't have to work for it anymore but as introducing a new element to the story that could solve some things and make others worse, to see how the introduction of that element into the mix would affect the outcome of the story. That would be a really interesting story, I think.

alexajaye wrote:But if I don't at least attempt to create new characters, working off something someone else created will start to feel like I don't have the ability anymore, and for me that's a lot like sitting in the middle of a gigantic body of water with no wind in sight and no tides to carry me to a deserted island where sparkly vampires scare away the fish.

I don't have a problem with that. Furthermore, I would encourage people to take advantage of the world Meyer created and explore vampire OCs and how they survive in that world. There are so many things one can explore as an author! Imagine an OC that has just been turned and abandoned. It doesn't need to be Bella, it doesn't always have to be about Bella. You can explore a newborn struggles with a different personality. I don't know. I just don't think authors should think that having the OC being an important part of the Cullen family is the only option. There is also life- or non-life- beyond the Cullens! There are so many other things to explore!

But as I said, as a reader, I'm quite demanding about OCs and how they're introduced in a setting.
Sylvianna
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Postby alexajaye on Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:47 am

I agree with you on being demanding of OCs - that they must be well-written. They must have as much of a personality as possible, and they have to be just as real to me as Bella should've been. But at least one of them will be a substitute for a canon character. Most of the OCs I've read and probably written have all been a substitute for Bella -- where they're the same age, look the same but act different because they want to see how Edward would react to someone who wasn't Bella.

Is my own OC like this? On several levels, she is different from Bella, even if I've had many people say she's very similar. I honestly don't see how, but that's because she's an extension of me. All my characters are. But as a writer, I have to also observe, so some of my OCs, namely the males, can sometimes act completely different from any boy or man I know. But I don't consciously want to substitute any character with my own - not unless it presents a new facet to an otherwise flat, colorless world where most things don't usually make sense anyway.

Something else I believe is that love can be a slow burn. It doesn't have to be an explosion. I think this is what fuels me to create my own characters, if that makes sense. It might just be me.

It's a fine line, and sometimes, I like to walk it. ;-)
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Dark Angel: Light Within Darkness EdwardxOC

The Ties that Bind Post BD ExB

The Choices We Make Sort of Edward/Bella with some Lucy at the end

Rainbows and Storm Clouds - Carlisle and Edward

^My Twilight stories on FanFiction.

Bonding over Debussy and Chocolate Milk

My New story on The Writer's Coffee Shop.

My Photobucket

^Warning: Some spoilers unless you read my stories.

^^awesome banner made by Me

^^ Banner made by me for my new story <-- Check it out
alexajaye
Newborn
Newborn

Postby Ambray on Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:03 pm

Just finished reading a mammoth OC/Harry Potter fanfic, which was over 500k.

After reading whoever talked about the Harry Potter fanfic world on this thread, I thought I'd go check it out.

Although as I've said, I do loev OCs, something that I've remember that can be a bit of a peeve is that the OC may not do anything in the story. She's just there on the sidelines following the exact same storyline we know.

Take this HP story I've just read, for example. It followed the books to a T. The OC did the exact same things that we already know and they only difference was that there was an additional characters in the situations.
It wasn't until about 2/3s through that she actually did something where I the OC did something new and then the story became an actual fanfic, instead of a retelling of the story with another character. You know?

You could argue that the writer eventually reacher that point, but with such a long story, I have to be honest, I'm surprised I stuck with it for that long!!

To counter that, however, I read a fantastic Harry/OC story before that one so I should be grateful! Haha. Just wish I could find some more!
It's amazing that out of 500,000 stories on ff.net, there are only 2 pages worth of Harry/OC stories!! Crazy!!

When it comes to HP fanfic, I think I'm very much an OC lover, because apart from Ron/Hermione I hated the other pairings and never saw HP as romance, so I can't carry that over into the fanfic world. Strange how that works.
Image]ImageImageImage
Ambray
Bitten
Bitten

Postby Sylvianna on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:22 pm

Ambray wrote:When it comes to HP fanfic, I think I'm very much an OC lover, because apart from Ron/Hermione I hated the other pairings and never saw HP as romance, so I can't carry that over into the fanfic world. Strange how that works.

I can't have smut on my LotR fanfiction (or other high-fantasy fiction) but I do like a touch of it in Twilight fanfics, provided it doesn't turn to be PWP.

Everyone has his/her own little crazes! :-P
Sylvianna
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Postby Ambray on Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:12 pm

Sylvianna wrote:
Ambray wrote:When it comes to HP fanfic, I think I'm very much an OC lover, because apart from Ron/Hermione I hated the other pairings and never saw HP as romance, so I can't carry that over into the fanfic world. Strange how that works.

I can't have smut on my LotR fanfiction (or other high-fantasy fiction) but I do like a touch of it in Twilight fanfics, provided it doesn't turn to be PWP.

Everyone has his/her own little crazes! :-P

See I'm fine with romance in LOTR.
But when it goes a bit OOC I can't read it. There's this really popular one, can't remember the name, but basically is Legolas/OC but it's as smutty as the smuttiest Twilight fics!! And we all know how they can get.

I just couldn't read it. Not my Legolas being like that! LOL.
Like I said, funny how that works, because I don't mind about Edward being all demanding and smutty in Twific, haha!!
Image]ImageImageImage
Ambray
Bitten
Bitten

Postby Sylvianna on Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:40 pm

My poor Legolas! What have they done to you!!!! :-P

I can have romance and even innuendos in high-fantasy fan fiction, don't get me wrong. I mean, Aragorn-Arwen is romance. Beren-Lúthien is romance. Of course, the story is not only about the romance but there are elements of it. A bit of romance can put some spice to almost any plot. I just can't read about those characters and explicit sex or strong language. With regards to high-fantasy I'm quite old-fashioned.

But I agree with you with regards to Edward. I think it is because we all recognize the ambivalence in the character in the canon story (he can be good but he could also be dangerous if he wanted to) and that helps when thinking of him as something different to sweet, caring Edward.
Sylvianna
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Postby sandstone on Thu May 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi! My preference is in character storys although I don't mind some OC storys in a AU setting. I think the Twilight story is one of the most creatively written novels , with characters that have antributes and flaws. The characters In Twilight are fine ; if there is going to be an OC story it should be written creatively and with the depth an author can bring to characters from the Twilight universe.
sandstone
Newborn
Newborn

Postby BLynn1 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Really late to the party here - but this thread caught my attention due to the topic.

Now, as a 29 year old writer I have to say that the answer to this question, for me, has always been, 'it depends'. I will personally read anything - canon, non-canon, OC fic, original fiction, etc. if it is well written. In various fandoms I've never been so much of a 'purist' that I find OCs (or non-canon pairings) offensive providing the story itself isn't a butchery of the english language.

For Twilight itself, I have to admit I actually seek out OC fic more so then the typical canon-pairings. Unfortunately, most of what I've found is borderline painful. My preference towards OCs in Twilight-fic probably stems more from my introduction to the Twilight fandom then anything else. I can admit that fully.

Now to explain (as it seems that everyone's focused on the Mary-Sue issue and rather the reasoning behind OCs existing):

Twilight was published in October '05. The following January I started the spring semester of my junior year of college and was taking two classes with the same professor: '21st Century Literature' (which considering at the time we only had 5 years to cover was considered a bird course for upper class English majors) and 'Pop and Cult Fiction' (which was basically a discussion course where 20 of us sat around and talked about things like Harry Potter and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and how it effected teenagers of 'today'). Twilight was one of the assigned books for both classes.

These two classes completely turned me off to the 'great romance' that is Bella Swan and Edward Cullen. Broken down systematically and examined their relationship become a horrific case of stalking and co-dependency that would see most parents shipping Bella off to therapy and issuing restraining orders. And that's before her total breakdown in New Moon.

Those two classes, and Twilight itself, also had me finding myself completely fascinated by the dynamics of the Cullen family and SM's particular brand of vampire. I'll admit to being a member of the Buffy generation - sparkling vegetarian vampires? To quote Spike, "Humans are Happy Meals on legs." I was slightly intrigued.

People have asked me how I can dislike Bella, but like Edward. I'll explain: Edward might be over a century in age - but he's also frozen as a 17 year old male. 17 year old males as a rule tend to be stupid. Carlisle said that vampires do not change without some major influence - Bella being that major influence sent Edward into a co-dependent tailspin. Had Bella been written with some backbone or some self-esteem and put her foot down (rather then thinking he was her 'grand white knight' there to take care of her or whatever) on some things we would have had a much healthier balanced relationship throughout the novels. The fact that the series is from Bella's perspective makes things worse (to me at least) - ie: they never talk! she's always thinking about how beautiful he is! she's obsessed with being a vampire! she gets aggravated when he doesn't want to take things further physically (ignoring the fact that he could potentially rip her throat out - NOT just turn her...but actually legit kill her). I kept wishing Edward could see inside her brain so that he'd realize she was just as shallow as the rest of the sheep at Forks High School. I've known girls with Bella's personality and I regularly told them to pull on their big girl pants and live their lives. Insecurity is the most unattractive trait anyone can have.

I didn't read the rest of the series until about a year and a half ago because my best friend was borderline obsessed with it and regularly told me all about, "OMG Bella and Edward. Swoon." (I'm not kidding. I've heard that sentence) So, in order to preserve my sanity and understand what the heck she was talking about I read the rest of the books and watched the movies (and was subsequently dragged to see BD pt 1 & 2 in theatres).

As such, to me, Original Characters are a way to write Twilight fic with a healthy relationship as the core of the story. Now, as such, the OC can not be Bella v2.0. That's just going to see me clicking the little x at the top of the screen. I also don't go for Bella bashing; she's pathetic, she doesn't need to be bashed as well.

Another reason I love the idea of OC's is because I hate the idea of 'soulmates'. It negates any thought of free will. And what is life without choices? Soulmates isn't romance - soulmates is like saying, 'well gee...I'll just wait around and hope I stumble across this person I don't even know so I can marry them instead.' It's part of the reason the imprinting part of the plot made me nauseous (and why I have nothing but sympathy for Leah being an angry miserable person).

Everyone goes on and on about how Edward and Bella are 'destined to be mates'. I don't care what was said in canon or fanon - I don't believe that for a hot second. Did Edward choose Bella to be his mate eventually by marrying her and having a child with her? Yes. But the very fact that she's his singer tells me that if anything she is very much not destined to be his mate. If Bella being his singer meant she was to be his mate - then what the heck is Rosalie to Emmett? Why did Emmett have two singers? Edward made an active choice to ignore the call of Bella's blood because she intrigued him (silence in her head, etc) not because of any great destined relationship. And unless I've suddenly lost all brain cells the words 'soul-mate' have never been used in the canon-text of the series. Each relationship in the Cullen family was a personal choice - they fell in love with each other, married and mated. There weren't any glowy sparkly, 'oh god I can't live without you', explosions that took away free will. Therefore, were there to be an OC in a story - before the culmination of Bella and Edward's relationship (ie: wedding/first mating on the honeymoon) theoretically, Bella does not need to be Edward's mate.

That also brings the other canon couples to the 'discussion' - I'll read OC fics with any of them as well. But going into my last point - if I read an OC with Jasper (for example) it needs to be someone he meets before he meets Alice. Theoretically, he could fall in love with someone before that - thereby changing his 'choice' and changing Alice's future. What a hot mess that would be huh? That ventures more into the 'AU' style of writing then just OC fic. But you get the point.

And now that I've probably aggravated all the purists I'll leave off...
::Bridget::
::Dream as if you'll live forever;
Live as if you'll die today::

http://bridgetlynn.tumblr.com
BLynn1
Human
Human

Postby alexajaye on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Finally, someone with a brain! Not that there aren't other fans who have one, but wow! You really do see what the whole thing is supposed to be about. I agree on many counts, especially where OCs are concerned because I prefer stories with OCs in them. I've written a few myself because the very essence of Edward and Bella's relationship bugged the crap out of me.

I dislike Bella being the spineless creature she is, and I don't understand how anyone can say she's a heroine. That's just ridiculous. So thank you for saying that. In fact, I've seen quite a few people who dislike her character but then turn around and make all the wrong choices in their words to describe her "love" with Edward. I actually ascertain that they don't really love each other at all. I know Edward eventually loses his identity and becomes her little puppet. The fact that he's the one who stands his ground at first makes him a much more interesting character.

When I write Bella, I steer clear of making her dependent on him, or him on her. They can need each other, but the co-dependency always bothered me. I grew up in a family where I witnessed co-dependency on two different levels, and it's not pretty the way SM makes it in Twilight.

Also, don't worry about upsetting the purists around here. That's what forums and the like are for. Speak your mind, piss people off and then come back to do it another day.

Sometimes, arguing can be good for the psyche!
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Dark Angel: Light Within Darkness EdwardxOC

The Ties that Bind Post BD ExB

The Choices We Make Sort of Edward/Bella with some Lucy at the end

Rainbows and Storm Clouds - Carlisle and Edward

^My Twilight stories on FanFiction.

Bonding over Debussy and Chocolate Milk

My New story on The Writer's Coffee Shop.

My Photobucket

^Warning: Some spoilers unless you read my stories.

^^awesome banner made by Me

^^ Banner made by me for my new story <-- Check it out
alexajaye
Newborn
Newborn

Postby sandstone on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi everybody! I actually always considered twilight to be a very creative story.
There will always be ups and downs to all storys. The charcters were intriuging and even endearing. I guess it helps, that I don't expect things to be perfect, before I begin reading.
Was Twilight full of plot twist? - Yes
Was Twilight a romance?-Yes
Did the characters in twilight have unique personality?-yes
Iv'e always reguarded the characters of edward and bella and many others in the Twilight series. One of there main character points is courage.
I don't like to get into fights or make anyone angry. So suffice to say Twilight was a well thought out story and Bella is one of my favorite characters.

I think Oc can be fitting in fan fiction. Creating a character can be interesting.
Twilight is a supernatural story. Created with characters, so why not create another one.

Was Twilight a fictional story?-yes
sandstone
Newborn
Newborn

Previous

Return to General Fic Discussion