Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 368

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 368

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - Creating Original Characters-- Children

Creating Original Characters-- Children

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

Creating Original Characters-- Children

Postby Jillian Landers on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:24 am

Okay, we've all read a few fics out there where some of our favorite canon couples have some kids.

I have two stories in my head that involve Edward and Bella, and co. as parents, but I'm a little nervous. As mentioned in the thread called "Do people avoid OC stories?", many readers are not fond of original characters... but here's my question...

What has an author done to make you like the kids in the story?

I've read several stories where I didn't like the kids the author created, and I didn't like how the canon pairings were with the kids, either. Then there's a few stories where I adored the kids...

Please discuss any and all aspects of this topic. When I sit down to write this, I want to avoid some tragic pitfalls in introducing an OC.

I'm specifically referring to AH fics as I never liked the Loch Ness.

Thanks.
Jillian Landers
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Re: Creating Original Characters-- Children

Postby Hibbleton on Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:49 pm

My first story has a kid in it (Bella is a single parent) and I was REALLY worried about it when I started out--it's to easy for kids in fics to get annoying. I kind of made this mental checklist of what I didn't like so that I could avoid it so all of this is based on that and the feedback I've received--people seem to really like the kid in mine... if he's not in a chapter (or multiple chapters in a row especially) I get a bunch of reviews letting me know people missed him.

No baby talk. Ugh, if I have to try and phonetically sound out what someone is saying, forget it. I try to use smaller words and shorter sentences (though I have done rambling run ons when he's excited about something). The only time I've had him mispronounce something was very deliberate and prefaced by Bella telling Edward to get him to say "helicopter" (hell-of-a-copter)

No "can I call you 'Daddy'" after the first date. How many times do you see the kid in a fic 'adopting' the new boyfriend/girlfriend/barely-more-than-acquaintence as a parent after a week or two? I let that relationship build at the same rate as the B&E romantic relationship. Instead of instantly jumping into family mode, they sort of fall into it without realizing it.

Everyone's lives doesn't have to revolve around the kid. I've seen so many where even when the kids aren't around, B&E are talking about the kids, planning for the kids, etc. My characters have lives outside of that, even if he's in the same room all of the adults can still be adults and have real conversations... maybe just watch their language a little better.

I think those are the big things for me... if I think of more, I'll post again.
ImageImageImage
Hibbleton
Team iFic
Team iFic

Postby xsecretxkeeperx on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:35 pm

Definitely be realistic, as these two lovely ladies have said. Make your child an actual person with actual emotions and thoughts. Nothing irks me more than the perfect little well behaved child. Even if the kid is really good, he's still a ball of energy and exploration. No parent in the world has never gotten frustrated with their kid.

And the baby talk. The ONLY time this is okay is if it's not from the parent's POV and the outsider hears, "Cam I hah sim wa-uh?" and is not supposed to know what the kid is saying. If it's meant as a confusion tactic, I'm fine with it, but the fic shouldn't be filled with it.

I have to disagree with Elise over the kids not being central to the plot. So often, kids are only in there for the sake of having kids, but if there are going to be children, they should be a big part of the character's life and thus, the story. I'm not saying it should all be about trips for ice-cream and the toy store, but don't just make them a plot device. Grr.
Power of Destiny|Slipping Through the Hourglass|The Darkest Paradise

Awesome banner by the ever fantastic Anne Cullen. Thank you, Anne!!

And, if you're in need of a cure to those angsty-fic blues, check out Twific's latest addiction, An Introduction to Swirl and Daisy: The Non-Romantic Romance, by m81170. There's nothing like the innocence and geeky wonder of young, anti-social love.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
xsecretxkeeperx
Coven Member
Coven Member

Postby Lottie2303 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:14 am

Sometimes the children are not the problem but the plot surrounding it. I stopped counting how many times Edward is a single parent, the mother abandoned the child and Bella turns out to be the perfect Mom within three chapters. It seems to be that concept in almost every single story! Is it so hard to write a FF, where Edward is separated/divorced but still is in good contact with the mother of his child and they share custody? Does Bella always needs to be the perfect mother replacement? I would love to read a fic, where the child actually hates Bella (e.g. Holding out for you).

I want to see children with flaws. I want to see how they can be the cutest little things and turn into monsters. I want to see how Bella and Edward reach their limits and still love there child. Nothing is more annoying then perfection. That is one of the reasons I disliked BD. Nessie was the ultimate perfect child!

And for goodness sake, I do not want to get the message, that a couple without a baby is incomplete. Especially when they are still young. I read this one story once, were it was portrayed it a way, that women in their early twenties should get pregnant and marry, otherwise their life is useless and insignificant. I prefer education and living my life before choosing to have such an important responsibility, but I do not run around and try to convince people about my opinion. I know that opinions vary, but please try to stay at least a little objective. Being a mother has positive and negative sides - please show both of them, and stop trying to lecture people who have different opinions. I can decide for myself, if I want to have children now or later.
Lottie2303
Human
Human

Postby xsecretxkeeperx on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:26 am

EliseShaw wrote:I never said make them just a plot device or background cardboard, just that I usually enjoy reading a storyline that centers around adults and an adult plot. So a story can be very well written and simply not appeal to me if it's all about Emmett and how he hurt his toe and screamed about it for 10 minutes. What I notice happens in a lot of the kid-fics I've skimmed is that once the kid comes into the picture, the story is suddenly mostly about their developmental milestones and the adults become nothing more than background cardboard cutouts.

I would link you some specific examples of what I'm talking about, but I think that would be rude.

I didn't mean to imply that you said only make them a plot device, only that a lot of authors do that. And I misunderstood you a little. I completely get what you mean. What I was trying to say is that if the story has kids, the kids should be significant to the plot. But little Emmett getting an ouchie and then going to the play ground and jungle gym right for the first time is not pertinent to any type of plot.

I meant to refer to fics like A Rough Start by ItzMegan73. I've seen this plot a few times where Edward lands himself a kid after the mother dies or doesn't want it anymore. A lot of the time, Edward being an sudden father draws in the reader, but then the fic becomes about Edward and Bella, and there's no relationship formed between Edward and the kid. The kid becomes a sideline attraction instead of a main character.

In ARS, Edward dealing with Anthony's arrival takes the front seat along with his blooming relationship with Bella. The two plot points coincide and help each other instead of one being forgotten. So, to change my statement, I agree with you and am furthering the flip side of that comment.
Power of Destiny|Slipping Through the Hourglass|The Darkest Paradise

Awesome banner by the ever fantastic Anne Cullen. Thank you, Anne!!

And, if you're in need of a cure to those angsty-fic blues, check out Twific's latest addiction, An Introduction to Swirl and Daisy: The Non-Romantic Romance, by m81170. There's nothing like the innocence and geeky wonder of young, anti-social love.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
xsecretxkeeperx
Coven Member
Coven Member

Postby mimigrace on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:56 am

i agree with what most people have said. if you're going to include children in your plot (and i am someone who actively reads those fics), make it realistic.
just because hollywood presents pregnancy/birth in a certain way, doesn't mean you need to - does a horrific cesarean with a major haemorrhage REALLY further your story? or is it just fun to insert.
do you have a three year old that is already using perfect grammer? i'm not saying use baby talk, but seriously, three year olds do not look at their parents and go 'mum, i really dislike it when you speak to me like that'.

and i dont' care what anyone says - if alice has just given birth to twins, no, she is not going to care that she's wearing sweats from target instead of prada.
mimigrace
Human
Human

Postby Jillian Landers on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:58 am

Okay, wonderful. It sounds like everything I dislike is everything y'all dislike as well! lol.

I feel better about what I have in mind after reading this. My beta said it sounds very realistic as far as things go.

And I never planned on having Bella be the perfect mother... in fact she really has no freaking clue how to deal with a child-- especially an 8 year old who is the apple of her father's eye and for the longest time was the only woman in his life. She also takes after her Aunt Alice a good bit.

One thing I'll add to the list of "shit that pisses me off" would be when kids run a muck in stories and their parents never lay the smack down. This is particularly bad with Edward's parents-- whoever they're represented to be in the story, as that kid does whatever the hell he wants and his parents just sort of say "what can we do?"

That irritates me. I don't care if my kid was 6'2" and well built... you talk to me in a disrespectful manner, you can kiss freedom goodbye. I mean, seriously, what the hell!
Jillian Landers
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Postby Jillian Landers on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:59 am

mimigrace wrote:i agree with what most people have said. if you're going to include children in your plot (and i am someone who actively reads those fics), make it realistic.
just because hollywood presents pregnancy/birth in a certain way, doesn't mean you need to - does a horrific cesarean with a major haemorrhage REALLY further your story? or is it just fun to insert.
do you have a three year old that is already using perfect grammer? i'm not saying use baby talk, but seriously, three year olds do not look at their parents and go 'mum, i really dislike it when you speak to me like that'.

and i dont' care what anyone says - if alice has just given birth to twins, no, she is not going to care that she's wearing sweats from target instead of prada.

I, personally, take serious issue with an 18-month old who speaks in full sentences and everyone understands them perfectly.

I also take issue with Alice being infallible.
Jillian Landers
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Postby mimigrace on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:58 am

actually i think my biggest pet-peeve when it comes to children in the fanfic world, is that its always so incredibly mainstream.

i don't necessarily mean that as an insult to mainstream people, but it'd be lovely to read a story where bella struggles with her sling, instead of her pram - or where breastfeeding doesn't come easy, but she perseveres, rather than turning to formula straight away.
i think the only times the new mother has breastfed (in the stories i can remember it being mentioned) is when they want to make smutty scenes involving lactation.
mimigrace
Human
Human

Postby Rosalynn on Tue May 18, 2010 12:08 pm

turning breastfeeding sexual pisses me off. I started a fic that ended up doing that and i never went back. I have written a breast feeding bella and while her and edward got it on, i in no way included him drinking her milk or playing with her milk as part of the sex.

Jill, if you want to write a kid into it, i know you will do great. Dont make them perfect and dont forget about them in the development of B/E relationship. Make sure you include bonding with the non parent and fights as well (your not my mom/dad type of thing without being too cliche)

love ya :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage
Rosalynn
Bitten
Bitten

Next

Return to General Fic Discussion