Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - Do people avoid OC stories?

Do people avoid OC stories?

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

Re: Do people avoid OC stories?

Postby marielondon on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:49 am

Being a current writer of an OC fanfic story, I completely understand the aversion to these from an outside point of view.

first of all: Most OC's act somewhat like Bella, I'm not exactly sure why, but if it's an Edward/OC fic, the OC is almost always shy, not liking to be the center of attention, and in her eyes, "plain."

Why would I read an OC if she or he has the exact same characteristics as other Twilight characters? Seems pretty pointless if you ask me.

About the self-insertion topic, I think that it is very important for authors to put a little of themselves into the characters they create. This makes the character a lot more believable, and less likely to be depicted as a Mary Sue. For example, the story I'm writing, and my OC, hits home in a lot of ways to me. This is because I'm writing about specific topics that I have experience with, self-insertion is nothing bad, and I think it actually helps your character develop into their own, credible person. agreeing with the above posts, as long as you don't overdo it, it can actually help your story.

You can often tell when an author makes an OC that is completely different than they are, a grand, sickeningly perfect version of what they wish to be.

And, lastly, the topic about breaking up other Cullen's mates for no good reason is a huge turn off. I absolutely love it when I get my hands on a good Edward/OC fic (it's very rare.) That has a character with a completely different personality than any of the main twilight crew. And, as much as I dislike Bella, I simply refuse to read an OC fic where they're bashing on her every two seconds, because to me that just ruins the credibility of a relationship with Edward and this potential OC. Obviously, the author can't think of a good enough plot where Edward and Bella would actually split up, and they just need to make her the bad guy in order for it to work.

Lost in Meyer, is an excellent, believable Edward/OC story that I would rec to anyone, regardless of who they ship.

"I'm a romantic; a sentimental person thinks things will last, a romantic person hopes against hope that they won't. "

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
marielondon
Human
Human

Postby GraveYarder on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:51 pm

marielondon wrote:And, lastly, the topic about breaking up other Cullen's mates for no good reason is a huge turn off. I absolutely love it when I get my hands on a good Edward/OC fic (it's very rare.) That has a character with a completely different personality than any of the main twilight crew. And, as much as I dislike Bella, I simply refuse to read an OC fic where they're bashing on her every two seconds, because to me that just ruins the credibility of a relationship with Edward and this potential OC. Obviously, the author can't think of a good enough plot where Edward and Bella would actually split up, and they just need to make her the bad guy in order for it to work.

Lost in Meyer, is an excellent, believable Edward/OC story that I would rec to anyone, regardless of who they ship.

Another Edward/OC fic I love is Kindred Spirits by Phoenix Rising. I know I have mentioned it on here before, but it was the first AWESOME OC fic I read.

I agree about the Bella bashing. (I'm not a huge Bella fan... ) I think any OC character needs to be able to stand alone without using the crutch of bringing other characters down. I hate it when people make characters out to be the "bad guy" completely out of canon in order to give strength to other wise weak characters.
GraveYarder
Bitten
Bitten

Postby marielondon on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:58 pm

that sounds like a familiar story, I don't think I've read it but I'll be sure to check it out!

An Equal Fate, by Olirin, is also a very good OC story (Especially for E/B shippers, because the OC is her daughter.) While still having a lot of Bella traits, the character is very much her own person and you can easily distinguish the difference between mother and daughter.

She's also a ballerina, yay for me. Because I'm a sucker for any story that has ballet in it, being a dancer myself :love:

I currently have an OC fic going on, and my OC kind of hates Bella. So I get all my "Bella bashing" out from her, but when it's in Edwards POV, none of that comes out, and I try to write her as close to character as possible, so even though my OC doesn't like her, it's because of the same reason I didn't like Bella's personality when reading the books, not because I made her out to be the bad guy, because she isn't!

"I'm a romantic; a sentimental person thinks things will last, a romantic person hopes against hope that they won't. "

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
marielondon
Human
Human

Postby GraveYarder on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:07 pm

marielondon wrote:I currently have an OC fic going on, and my OC kind of hates Bella. So I get all my "Bella bashing" out from her, but when it's in Edwards POV, none of that comes out, and I try to write her as close to character as possible, so even though my OC doesn't like her, it's because of the same reason I didn't like Bella's personality when reading the books, not because I made her out to be the bad guy, because she isn't!

Have you posted your OC fic as of yet? Us OC people gotta stick together! ;-) I would love to read it.

My issues were/are with Bella's personality too - she annoyed the hell outta me, frankly.

Canon Edward would NEVER bash Bella. I mean come on! He didn't even flip a gasket when she kept kissing other men!
GraveYarder
Bitten
Bitten

Postby marielondon on Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:23 pm

EXACTLY! I mean really people? That just ruins it.

It'y my banner, La Vie en Noire, it's on Twilighted as well but the one on ff.net has a lot more chapters.

have you posted your OC fic yet?

I have to warn you, the story thats off very, very dark. No, my OC is not a "cutter."
It's a little hard to explain, but it lightens up.

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
marielondon
Human
Human

Postby GraveYarder on Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:16 pm

As long as it lightens up :p ... I totally don't do sad endings... I will try and get over there and check it out this weekend :)

I posted my first chapter up on FF.net, and once I get my second back from being Betaed I will add it. I'm still in limbo here, but hopefully in the next week or so I will get it up.
GraveYarder
Bitten
Bitten

Postby lily_moon on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:44 pm

GraveYarder wrote:
marielondon wrote:I currently have an OC fic going on, and my OC kind of hates Bella. So I get all my "Bella bashing" out from her, but when it's in Edwards POV, none of that comes out, and I try to write her as close to character as possible, so even though my OC doesn't like her, it's because of the same reason I didn't like Bella's personality when reading the books, not because I made her out to be the bad guy, because she isn't!

Have you posted your OC fic as of yet? Us OC people gotta stick together! ;-) I would love to read it.

My issues were/are with Bella's personality too - she annoyed the hell outta me, frankly.

Canon Edward would NEVER bash Bella. I mean come on! He didn't even flip a gasket when she kept kissing other men!

Bella can be kind of annoying, but I think she's one of those characters that is universal.. we all have Bella-esque tendencies.. as for my fic, I just wrote it really AU, and she's not even mentioned.. I read one that didn't even mention Bella and it was awesome (I think it was Kindred Spirits, or something of that sort.)

I have an OC fic in preview on my El-Jay (click the link in my siggie.).. any constructive comments are welcome, especially since I think it needs work..

http://bitsysmoonlight.livejournal.com/ My Fics Journal (I preview works here)
lily_moon
Human
Human

Postby marielondon on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:48 pm

I'll def be sure to check it out!
I love OC stories, I usually like Bella being there, maybe because I enjoy seeing her suffer? I know it's mean.

I just read this story called Resurrection, and in the first two chapters, it completely explains the reasons why Bella definitely doesn't deserve Edward.

It ends in Edward/Bella though, so I kind of stopped reading it. But anyway, in the first two chapters, we see Edward leaving again after Bella spends all night crying about having to tell Jacob that she's choosing Edward over him.

It really makes you hate Bella even more.

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
marielondon
Human
Human

Postby Lalina on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:07 am

marielondon wrote:I'll def be sure to check it out!
I love OC stories, I usually like Bella being there, maybe because I enjoy seeing her suffer? I know it's mean.

I just read this story called Resurrection, and in the first two chapters, it completely explains the reasons why Bella definitely doesn't deserve Edward.

It ends in Edward/Bella though, so I kind of stopped reading it. But anyway, in the first two chapters, we see Edward leaving again after Bella spends all night crying about having to tell Jacob that she's choosing Edward over him.

It really makes you hate Bella even more.

This would be another big reason I tend to avoid OC stories. I'd prefer not to have to slog through ppl's hatred of a character and then read about how a self-insert (usually the author herself) is SOOOO much better for Edward than Bella was.

Sorry, but yuck.

Edward and Bella were mated for a reason. Whether you like her or not. And if I'm going to be completely frank, Edward is by no means perfect, himself. We ALL have flaws, Bella is no different.

Personally, I can't see Edward choosing someone over Bella. Vampires mate for LIFE so there would have to be a damned good reason for that to stick (or any of the Cullen men if you get right down to it) The only believable OC stories for me would be if Bella never existed or she died. And even if she died, I'd expect Edward to roam around for centuries before ever thinking to replace her.
Lalina

Postby Phoenix Rising on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:07 am

How the heck did I miss all this? Probably because RL has consumed any and all free time lately, but I'm glad I found it.

Thank you for starting this topic, Graveyarder. I agree with everyone who has said write for yourself. If you want to write an OC/Jake story, go ahead and do your best. I think people are much more accepting of Jake with another character, simply because a lot of the fandom was weirded out by Nessie, including many of them who even liked the idea of her.

I wrote Kindred Spirits (which Graveyarder has so kindly pimped out a few times *blushes*), which featured Edward with an OC. Basically my story spawned from my thoughts that sometimes Bella got on my nerves, and what if Edward found a mate who was a bit more independent and could hold her own with him and the family. She's not a self-insertion, and I did UNGODLY amounts of research to bring my OC's past to life, but it paid off in the end. It also gave me an opportunity to write about my favorite part of the series...the Cullen family, specifically the family as vampires. EPOV is always my favorite to write and to read, and I love the whole family and the dynamics they have. I loved exploring that a bit more in my story.

The readership I did get for the story (and am still getting) has been totally worth it. Did I get a ton of reviews? No. But those who did review and "favorite" were faithful and meant the world to me. I actually got a ton of comments that people liked my OC better than Bella, which I took as a huge compliment. I definitely did go into writing it with the assumption that people wouldn't necessarily like it, though. I swear I thought I'd have to put on a suit of armor to read the reviews, but for the most part, they were all very nice.

Lalina wrote: The only believable OC stories for me would be if Bella never existed or she died. And even if she died, I'd expect Edward to roam around for centuries before ever thinking to replace her.

I dealt with the "Bella" issue by simply leaving her out of the story. It was marked as AU, so technically she probably existed, but maybe she stayed in Phoenix, or moved to Jacksonville with Phil and Renee...anything, really. She simply never came to Forks. That way, I didn't have to come up with any explanation for why she wasn't with Edward, or why they broke up, or what have you. I just left her out.

I agree that a LOT of OC's are just Mary Sues, including Bella, who is pretty much a self-insertion of SM. But they're not all like that.
Phoenix Rising
Senior Validation Beta
Senior Validation Beta

PreviousNext

Return to General Fic Discussion