Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 368

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - Do people avoid OC stories?

Do people avoid OC stories?

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

Re: Do people avoid OC stories?

Postby tellmethetruth on Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:03 pm

I didn't read through the whole thread here but I did want to just give my piece if I could. I'm the author of a RPF with an OC as a lead. When I wrote it, I wrote it because I loved the plot and I didn't give any thought to who would read it because those things don't matter to me.

It made me happy to write the story and that was enough for me. With that said, I think that not writing something because someone may not like it is a mistake. There will always be someone who goes against you.

When it comes to Twilight, there is such a stigma that as creative beings we aren't supposed to change the order of the books but I disagree. It's fiction and the plot is your own. As an author you are allowed whatever creative liberty you wish to take. At least, that's how I feel.
ImageImage
tellmethetruth
Human
Human

Postby GraveYarder on Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:24 pm

tellmethetruth wrote:When it comes to Twilight, there is such a stigma that as creative beings we aren't supposed to change the order of the books but I disagree. It's fiction and the plot is your own. As an author you are allowed whatever creative liberty you wish to take. At least, that's how I feel.

Welcome fellow OC author! :) Thanks for your input!

I totally agree that in FF (any fiction) it's okay to take some creative liberty in order to make the plot your own. It wouldn't be fiction otherwise, and we would all be cranking out relatively the same story.

I know what drew me to Twilight wasn't the books (don't get me started on BD..) - It was the universe and characters SM created. You would be crazy not to want to tap into her fiction :)
GraveYarder
Bitten
Bitten

Postby tellmethetruth on Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:50 pm

GraveYarder wrote:
tellmethetruth wrote:When it comes to Twilight, there is such a stigma that as creative beings we aren't supposed to change the order of the books but I disagree. It's fiction and the plot is your own. As an author you are allowed whatever creative liberty you wish to take. At least, that's how I feel.

Welcome fellow OC author! :) Thanks for your input!

I totally agree that in FF (any fiction) it's okay to take some creative liberty in order to make the plot your own. It wouldn't be fiction otherwise, and we would all be cranking out relatively the same story.

I know what drew me to Twilight wasn't the books (don't get me started on BD..) - It was the universe and characters SM created. You would be crazy not to want to tap into her fiction :)

It's so true! There is endless possibilities in this fandom. THank you for the welcome, btw. I'm still getting my feet wet around here.
ImageImage
tellmethetruth
Human
Human

Postby marielondon on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:23 am

agreeing with everything that's been said, I can happily say that the Twilight fandom has become looser in accepted pairings in general.

Noncanon is becoming quite popular when all that there used to be was Edward/Bella. As well as side pairings like Alice/Jasper, Carlisle/Esme, Rosalie/Emmett, etc...

I believe that because, compared to other fandoms, this one is quite "young", that there are still some restrictions. But in due time, I think it'll get as crazy as the HP fandom, and I'm saying that as a good thing. Because I LOVE THE HP FANDOM.

Not just because they're apeshit crazy, but because they have so many incredibely written, original, amazing, mindblowing fics. Millions and millions of them, you could read on forever and never get bored.

So maybe now, OCs are a little taboo, but that doesn't mean it'll stay that way forever.

I can't remember his name, but I'm pretty sure is Spencer something... is a very established, loved, popular HP fanfic author who has quite literally self-inserted himself in every fic he has written, and he has written a lot. He has created his own alternate universe while still keeping within the one Rowling created. AND PEOPLE LOVE HIM FOR IT.

He's one tons of awards and has gotten more than a million reviews. Just an inspring little fact I'd like to add to all of us Twilight OC authors. So never fear fellow OC lovers, one day, we will be accepted. LOL. *Crosses fingers*

"I'm a romantic; a sentimental person thinks things will last, a romantic person hopes against hope that they won't. "

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
marielondon
Human
Human

Postby GraveYarder on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:29 am

EliseShaw wrote:But, as with anything, you're going to have a niche of readers who are looking for what you write. It may not be as many as the people writing what the masses want to read (I certainly know this myself, writing an unpopular couple), but it will be just the ticket for some people.

This is so true! Some people will be open and may like the idea... Others, well, they won't give it the time of day. You just have to go into it knowing that.

marielondon wrote:So never fear fellow OC lovers, our time will come. *Crosses fingers*

I do hope you're right ;-) That would be cool.... Open minded folks, bring it on!
GraveYarder
Bitten
Bitten

Postby Lalina on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:30 am

I would have to disagree with this wholeheartedly. There is no lack of creativity, and acceptance of it, in this fandom. The fact that the AH section is the largest and most popular out of all of them is testament to that. Where ppl are a bit sticky is when it comes to canon couples and even then they give some leeway. If I’m not mistaken Bellsper is the 3rd largest read ‘ship after BxE/BxJ.

At the end of the day however, I’d hazard a guess that most ppl want to read about the characters that are in the books. That is who they fell in love with. Even if Madison or Emma or Savannah is a kick ass girl, it makes no difference. And if the canon mate is in the picture, and wallowing in the background, that’s even worse. I think the general consensus is why would I read about someone I don’t know and don’t care about when there are thousands of fics to choose from using my favourite pairing?

But who knows… as time passes and the gamut of story lines grows thin, perhaps ppl will start looking in the OC direction.
Lalina

Postby Jillian Landers on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:33 am

I'm sure this has been said before... and I can't guarantee I haven't posted in this thread previously, lol...

For me, Edward always belongs with Bella, and there is nothing in my head that can change that. Just like all the other Cullen's belong together just as they are. I enjoy exploring different set up's with the couples and scenarios... but at the end of the day, they always belong with their canon mate.

I don't believe it's a lack of creativity on my part, it's quite simply that I can't stomach it any other way. Edward can be a man whore, Bella can be a slut... whatever, I don't care... but at the end of the day, HEA or no, they belong together... even if they don't end up together.

I'm sort of a closet romantic, I like HEA's (sshhh, don't tell, lol), so here's the thing... what SM presented us with in Twilight was this never-ending love. This infallible love, this love that quite frankly, none of us will likely ever experience to this degree... so no, I cannot handle a story where that doesn't exist. Because God damn it, if that kind of deep, never-ending, unwavering, mate-for-life-without-choice, kind of love doesn't exist in my life... then fuck, it better as hell exist in my fiction.
Jillian Landers
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Postby Lalina on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:06 pm

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of mixing canon couples either. I think I've read one Bellsper fic and even though I enjoyed the writing, in the back of my mind I was always waiting for her to choose Edward. I just can't see any of the canon characters with anyone besides their mate if you want to get down to it.
Lalina

Postby heavenli24 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:30 pm

EliseShaw wrote:To some degree, I have a hard time enjoying Bellsper, Bellisle, etc, even when well written. I've tried to overcome it and there are a few exceptions where I've truly enjoyed the story. There are some fabulous writers out there writing these pairings.

See, this is why I like reading stories with OC characters (other fandoms and Twilight)... because it would be weird if the main character (i.e. Bella) was paired with any of the other canon characters. For me, it's much easier to accept that one of the main characters could fall for someone completely new instead of one of their friends who is usually paired with another one of their friends.

I currently write mostly AU in a different fandom and a lot of my stories do involve original characters - not as main characters, but as friends, colleagues or potential love interests of the main characters. Usually my OCs are male, so I'm not inserting myself in there, and none of them are Mary-Sue perfect either :P). To be honest, it just bugs me when all of the canon characters meet and suddenly fall in love with each other... what about the other billions of people in the world? - hardly anyone meets the person they want to spend the rest of their life with without having any other significant relationships. Why does Alice always have to meet Jasper and no one else? And Rosalie meet Emmett, and Bella meet Edward right away? Not saying they shouldn't end up together eventually, but stories get a bit boring when you already know who's gonna fall in love with who before you even start reading.

Maybe I've just been reading and writing fic for too long (I get that the Twilight fandom is relatively new though, so opinions will be different), but there comes a point when you just get fed up of writing the same characters and character relationships over and over again. As time goes on, I'm finding that my stories are becoming more and more original and less based on the canon of the fandom I write in (a TV show) - I want some variety :).

EliseShaw wrote:It comes down to this for me: Bella moved to Forks and was suddenly THE hot commodity that every guy in school wanted. Mike, Tyler, Eric... they all dropped everything and were nuts for her. Then she was Edward's universe, then Jacob's, then she had both guys falling over themselves to win her heart while the other Forks guys grumped around jealously in the background.

To me, that's already a bit much to have half a dozen perfectly decent and or awesome guys fawning over your every move while you bite your lip and act shy. To me, it doesn't seem as special if Jasper or Carlisle is all over her too because I think what she had with Edward was more significant when it was that they were two unmatched halves that finally came together when they didn't quite fit in anywhere before. It just doesn't seem to make as much sense when this admittedly kind of plain, ordinary girl is irresistible to every male vampire/werewolf/human in town. It takes the specialness out of her and Edward for me.

I only read AU Human fics in Twilight, so I don't feel that the bonds between the main characters have to be as strong as they are in vampire stories... after all, in AH, they are only human ;). But my thought is: why does Bella even have to have all those other guys fawning all over her in a story anyway? For once, I'd like to see Mike/Tyler/Eric not even notice Bella at all and find other people to fall in love with, or maybe even dislike her. I understand that many fans love to read canon and don't like the idea of the character relationships changing, but after 10 years of reading fanfic based on the relationships of the main characters in two TV shows and now in Twilight, it's all gotten very predictable.
heavenli24
Bitten
Bitten

Postby marielondon on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:53 pm

But my thought is: why does Bella even have to have all those other guys fawning all over her in a story anyway? For once, I'd like to see Mike/Tyler/Eric not even notice Bella at all and find other people to fall in love with, or maybe even dislike her. I understand that many fans love to read canon and don't like the idea of the character relationships changing, but after 10 years of reading fanfic based on the relationships of the main characters in two TV shows and now in Twilight, it's all gotten very predictable

THIS.

Yes, why does dear, plain, shy Bella ALWAYS have all the guys killing themselves over
her? What I think a lot of Twific authors don't realize is how very in canon and "with the books" they make their stories. Even if it's AH, AU or whatever.

Bella will be OC as hell because everyone knows she's annoying and rather than making up their own character or using a Twilight character more like this new personality (Popular BitchBella: Rosalie anyone?), they'll just paint a brand new shiny face on her and slap her name on her forehead. You could argue that the same thing is done to Edward but at the end of the day, Edward 99.99 percent of the time will have his basic characteristics (stubborn, hot-tempered, broody, etc...)

Anyway, besides that, the insignificant Twi humans will be stupid, shallow, one-dimmensional, and fascinated with her. The boys will drool and the girls will hate because everyone knows humans are dirt like that. Way to go Steph.

Edward will be with Bella and Jasper will be with Alice and Rose with Emmett and so on and so forth. Predictable? Painfully so. Boring? As hell, IMHO Popular? Sadly, yes.

The Point: People fell in love with the story SM created, and there are a very rare few who fell in love with the individual characters, but NOT the story, pairings, etc...

to the 95% of lucky Twilight fans who did fall in love with canon pairings, I envy you. You have no idea how bad it sucks hating SM's pairings and wanting to spice it up, but having to dig and dig through stories on ff.net, piling away through all the trash until you find this amazing jewel who's almost always onle a one-shot. So really... all I'm saying is, trade places with me? I hate hating Bella (because even in noncanon fic she's a main character, goddammit.) I honestly tried to like her, I really did, but instead I secretly prayed she would've flung off that cliff harder and killed herself in NM, wished she got eaten by Victoria in Eclipse and hoped her and her monster baby died in BD. I read two E/B fics before I said kthxbye and kicked Bella out the door.

Sigh, I got wayyy too spoiled in the HP Fandom. But isn't that the joy of liking a nonromantic novel? I feel like a liberal in a Republican convention (Really hope that wasn't inappropriate, but it probably was, are we allowed to speak of politics here? lol.)

On a happier note: Noncanon is sprouting EVERYWHERE. It really is getting popular, and although this entire rant had nothing to do with an OC pairing... just saying.

"I'm a romantic; a sentimental person thinks things will last, a romantic person hopes against hope that they won't. "

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
marielondon
Human
Human

PreviousNext

Return to General Fic Discussion