Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - Do people avoid OC stories?

Do people avoid OC stories?

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

Re: Do people avoid OC stories?

Postby Lalina on Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:11 pm

My take on it wasn't so much everyone loved Bella because she was so special, but more because she was a new face in a small town in a school where everyone has grown up with one another. Of course she's going to garner a lot of attention. It's fresh blood! (pun sort of intended) I mean think about when YOU were in HS and a new student joined? I don't know about you but there was always a buzz over a new face at all the schools I went to.
Lalina

Postby GraveYarder on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 pm

marielondon wrote:I hate hating Bella (because even in noncanon fic she's a main character, goddammit.) I honestly tried to like her, I really did, but instead I secretly prayed she would've flung off that cliff harder and killed herself in NM, wished she got eaten by Victoria in Eclipse and hoped her and her monster baby died in BD.

You had me giggling with your rant! And I second a lot of what you're saying not just the Bella bit. Bella bothered me in canon. She made it that much harder for me to like the other canon couples b/c we saw them through her eyes. Bleh. I get that SM wanted Bella to be everything she wasn't, and that's cool... to a point. I went to a small HS and I know the concept of 'new blood' for sure. But everyone loving her... besides the minor gossip and jealousy based around her? Not so much.

I have canned reading quite a few fics that have Bella as the main character, but she is so OOC why call her Bella?Though if your OC characters name is Bella, and she falls in love with an OC named Edward... A ton more people will read your fic. >.< Just my take on it though.
GraveYarder
Bitten
Bitten

Postby marielondon on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:35 pm

lol, I never really understand the need for such OOCness for her if the couples remained canon. Someone wrote on this board that why create an OC when there are so many characters to choose from? Same with Bella, why write an OC named Bella who looks exactly like the one from the books when there are so many other characters that have her new personality. If you really believe Edward would fall for that, then it's seem to me as though you'd love noncanon.

I guess we can just agree to disagree

Hmmmm, interesting theory, I live in Socal. My high school's junior class has 1000 students and my school overall is close to 4000. So, I guess I don't understand the new kid vibe. Hahaha, I mean, there'll be a kid who just switched to my science class, has been going to my school since freshman year and like, two people, if he's lucky, will know him?

Picture this: Bella was probably that shy girl in my english class I was forced to do a project with and then ended talking crap about her to my friends because she blushed so much. Like in Arizona, no one ever paid attention to her.
:rotfl:
shrugs.

"I'm a romantic; a sentimental person thinks things will last, a romantic person hopes against hope that they won't. "

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
marielondon
Human
Human

Postby heavenli24 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:22 am

marielondon wrote:lol, I never really understand the need for such OOCness for her if the couples remained canon. Someone wrote on this board that why create an OC when there are so many characters to choose from? Same with Bella, why write an OC named Bella who looks exactly like the one from the books when there are so many other characters that have her new personality. If you really believe Edward would fall for that, then it's seem to me as though you'd love noncanon.

You can still have canon couples in a non-canon setting though. I like writing AU/AH stories (in a different fandom) for the exact reason that I can do anything with my characters... I usually stick to canon pairings, but because it's AU I can make their personalities and lives different from canon, or not actually include some of the characters at all.

That's what AU is there for!

I've taken US characters in high school (TV show canon) and made them college students, in their thirties and married with kids, British university students, pro tennis players, journalists and movie stars.

Hmmmm, interesting theory, I live in Socal. My high school's junior class has 1000 students and my school overall is close to 4000. So, I guess I don't understand the new kid vibe. Hahaha, I mean, there'll be a kid who just switched to my science class, has been going to my school since freshman year and like, two people, if he's lucky, will know him?

I guess we had a bit of 'new kid' novelty in our school (in the UK). We only had 200 students in five of the years/grades (age 11-16) and 100 students in each of the last 2 years (age 16-18), so a new kid in the year was very obvious. Also, you usually took classes with the same people all through the first 5 years, so after a couple of years you knew pretty much everyone in the same year/grade as you by name. By the time Sixth Form (last 2 years of high school, which are not compulsory), about half of the students had left to attend further education colleges or to go into full-time employment, so there were only about 4 or 5 separate groups of friends left (each with about 20 people in them), we all hung around in the same common room for 2 years and everyone got invited to 18th birthday parties etc.

Picture this: Bella was probably that shy girl in my english class I was forced to do a project with and then ended talking crap about her to my friends because she blushed so much. Like in Arizona, no one ever paid attention to her.

Yeah, in my school, Bella would have been a girl you'd been sharing classes with since you were 11 years old! You'd probably been on school trips to France/Belgium/Russia with her, maybe got drunk with her before, worked with her in a school production, played on the same team as her in PE etc. - she wouldn't just be a nameless face.
heavenli24
Bitten
Bitten

Postby Lalina on Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:48 am

marielondon wrote:Hmmmm, interesting theory, I live in Socal. My high school's junior class has 1000 students and my school overall is close to 4000. So, I guess I don't understand the new kid vibe. Hahaha, I mean, there'll be a kid who just switched to my science class, has been going to my school since freshman year and like, two people, if he's lucky, will know him?

Well, this is my point. I imagine her school in Phoenix was much as you described here which is why Bella just faded into the background and no one ever pursued her before. Then she's thrown into this tiny school with probably a few hundred students and suddenly she's all anyone can pay attention to because she's a novelty *Like a shiny new toy* Jessica says once... which I think is absolutely right.

As for mixing canon couples, I'm w/ Elise. I don't like it. It's one thing for all the human males to pursue Bella because she's the new girl (there was always some prestige associated w/ the person who bagged the new girl/guy first when I was in school) but all the vamps too? I don't buy it either. Maybe in an AH story, but even then, meh!

Personally, I always thought - besides the blood - Bella's silence was the huge draw for Edward in Canon. After a century of knowing what everyone around him is thinking, suddenly here is ONE person who is completely silent. Automatically that makes her into an enigma, a challenge even. After 80 years of monotony, suddenly there is something NEW. I'm pretty sure had he been able to hear Bella's thoughts, he probably just would have up and killed her because she did think like most other teen age girls out there. She would have bored him like everyone else and he would have just drained her.

That's my theory, anyway :)
Lalina

Postby marielondon on Tue May 04, 2010 9:56 pm

Blah. See, this is what I mean! I wish she would've been interesting enough on her own, but that would've been extremely hard to write. After 100+ years of listening to people's thoughts, I doubt you'll ever find anything original up there.
Bella could've been a crack whore and her mind would be blank, Edward: "Gasp! I love you!"

"I'm a romantic; a sentimental person thinks things will last, a romantic person hopes against hope that they won't. "

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
marielondon
Human
Human

Postby sarah___ on Thu May 06, 2010 7:46 am

I have to agree, the intrigue for Edward was always her silence.

Doesn't he say in Midnight Sun that the mystery of her silent mind might just be enough to keep her alive or something along those lines? Or am I just making quotes up there?
sarah___
Bitten
Bitten

Postby Lottie2303 on Fri May 07, 2010 12:56 am

Of course, Bellas silent mind was the first reason for Edward being intrigued. But come, there is always a reason why you are attracted to a certain person. Normally it is physical attraction and in this case it was Bella's mind. I don't believe that Edward would have fallen in love with her if he wouldn't have liked her character, her personality and her look. I don't believe he would have fallen for Jessica for instance, even if her mind would have been silent. There is always a reason why you even begin to be attracted be to someone else.

To say that Bella could have been a crack whore is rude and wrong. I get that you don't like Bella, marielondon, and I respect that, but such comments are disrespectful. And it indicates that Edward is actually a silly, immature and negative character, because after all he would have chosen the 'crack whore'. Not Bella. But that is just my opinion...
Lottie2303
Human
Human

Postby Lottie2303 on Fri May 07, 2010 5:13 am

EliseShaw wrote:Agree and disagree. Certainly I think there is some natural chemistry there between Edward and Bella in terms of physical attraction and intelligence.

However, I think the "silent mind" aspect is HUGE, much bigger than most consider initially. Edward has spent 80 years surrounded by beautiful, extremely intelligent people. Think of all the beautiful, intelligent females he was around before Bella: Esme, Rosalie, Tanya, Kate, Irina, etc, just to name some in canon. All of those people would have been smarter than Bella, simply because they were vampires and had their minds enhanced during the change. Yes, I think once he gave her a chance, he found their personalities worked together, but I think the key element that she can finally give him a sense of normalcy can't be denied.

Yeah, but that's what I meant. Her silent mind was definitely the reason for Edward getting interested in her. It was a really huge part for Edward and the start of the relationship. Additionally 'the sense of normally', as you stated. But at the very end, no matter how silent her mind is, he never would have fallen in love with her, without having a great chemistry, and Bella's physical attraction and intelligence. Her silent mind was a starting point (and continued to be important in the future), but it wasn't the only feature he was attracted to.
Lottie2303
Human
Human

Postby sarah___ on Sun May 09, 2010 10:45 am

Yeah when I said I agreed, I didn't mean with the 'he would have liked Bella even if she was a crack whore' part, just the silent mind part.

It made him want to discover more about her, something no human or vampire had ever forced him to do. But I think if Bella had turned out to be as shallow as say, Jessica or Lauren, he would have figured that out in the end and their relationship would never have happened.
sarah___
Bitten
Bitten

PreviousNext

Return to General Fic Discussion