Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - Do people avoid OC stories?

Do people avoid OC stories?

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

Do people avoid OC stories?

Postby GraveYarder on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:26 pm

After finding the courage to start writing and working towards potentially sharing my story, it was brought to my attention that no one reads fan fictions involving OC. Any thoughts on if that is true or why that is?

I have read some really awesome FF with OCs, and the present of an OC doesn't personally scare me off. But if I do post up eventually I want people to consider reading my story regardless of my main OC...

So basically, any thoughts on OC? or OC fics?

GraveYarder
Bitten
Bitten

Re: Do people avoid OC stories?

Postby Cuddlebug on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:58 pm

If I were you, I would write it anyway.

I wrote my first FF with an OC as main, and whilst it's NOT as popular as my Edward/Bella fanfic, it still have many readers who've really enjoyed it.

Smug bragging moment: AND despite the usual prejudice against fics with OC's as main, it has been nominated for 2 Indie Twilight awards.

Write what you want to write - there's always a small market that will read it.

With their inheritance on the line, lifelong enemies Bella and Edward are forced to live and work together for the sake of family, business, and the ultimate goal: money. As the battle for control and power heats up - so do they.

Fanfic blog: Cuddlebuggery
Cuddlebug
Newborn
Newborn

Postby JenelleCullen on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:30 pm

For me the only OCs a fic needs are children if you want them older than a baby. I've always thought there are WAY too many characters in the book for people to need to make up their own. Use Maggie from the Irish coven and give her your own personality (no need to bring a Becky into the story). Siobhan, Benjamin, Alistair, Tia, (Carmen and Eleazar didn't really have in depth personalities). Use what's already there.

I always think it may as well just be an original story instead of having say just Edward and 10 random made up people. If I want to read about Bella and her roommates( Abby, Emma, Madison) and her ex (Matthew) I'll just go pick up a tangible book. As far as Twilight fan fiction I like Twilight characters.

But that's just me. And it depends on the story.

They don't scare me off but I don't see the point. I'll see it and then go search for a real book that's similar because if I see the Twilight people I like them and only them. Bella doesn't have to be with Edward or Jacob when you have Felix, Tyler, Marcus, Alec, Eric, Ben, James, Laurent, Liam, Stefan, Vladmir, Paul, Embry, Sam, Peter etc - plenty of people in the actual series that can be used and most of whom we know nothing about,
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JenelleCullen
Veteran Coven Member
Veteran Coven Member

Postby kittandchips on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:22 am

I would never read a fic which had an OC as another Cullen child, or as the love interest of one of the Twilight men, because that seems like a recipe for Mary Sueism to me.

I will read an OC fic if the author's purpose is to tell an event through the eyes of disinterested third party.
"... I'd like very much for our family to be worth protecting. ... If we make exceptions to protect ourselves, we risk something much more important. We risk losing the essence of who we are." ~ Carlisle, Midnight Sun
kittandchips
Bitten
Bitten

Postby Virgrin on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:40 am

I agree with all that was said above.

I dont understand the need for OCs. The only fic with an OC as a main character I read was about a girl who liked Jake, and she isn't really an OC because she was mentioned in the Jake extra at meyer's site, and it was said that she was secretly in love with him.

there are so many characters to choose from. in AH OOC you can do anything. for example, if you dont want to use alice and rosalie as bella's friends you can use angela and jessica (i personally don't like alice very much, so in my story the best friend is angela). you can make mike/eric/etc the gay/geeky/whatever you want friend. you can even make it a crossover fic and use any character you want.

in canon based stories... well there i don't mind a minor or even secondary OC. but i wouldnt read a fic with an OC as the lead. sorry xD
Virgrin
Human
Human

Postby Alizabeth Roc on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:50 pm

I wrote a fic with an OC for the simple fact that I wanted Jake to find love and I just could never fully wrap my brain around the imprinting thing. I completely agree with Elise that I tend to prefer the canon pairings because SM matched her couples so well. I just didn't feel constrained to break up Jacob/Nessie because their really was not a Jacob/Nessie. Nessie was never a fully formed person.

I would encourage people to give stories with an OC a chance (OK that is self serving). We are all trying to put some of ourselves into these stories.

I also agree that an ensemble of OC's is confusing... who are all of these people, or a self-indulgent teenagey fic where someone just writes themselves into a story to hook up with their crush is not appealing.

Don't you have room in your heart for one more character... c'mon.
Alizabeth Roc
Human
Human

Postby GraveYarder on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:55 pm

Cuddlebug wrote:If I were you, I would write it anyway.

I wrote my first FF with an OC as main, and whilst it's NOT as popular as my Edward/Bella fanfic, it still have many readers who've really enjoyed it.

Smug bragging moment: AND despite the usual prejudice against fics with OC's as main, it has been nominated for 2 Indie Twilight awards.

Write what you want to write - there's always a small market that will read it.

Thanks for replying! And congrats on the Indie Nomination, that's awesome!! What are your stories and I will go add them to my vote...
I'm gearing myself up for not getting many readers anyhow. Main OC aside, I started out writing this story for me, so there may not be too many people out there that want to read exactly what I do anyhow, lite angst and HEA all around:p
GraveYarder
Bitten
Bitten

Postby GraveYarder on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:06 pm

Okay, so my inbox said I only had one reply, so WTF... Thanks to everyone for replying! Ya'll rock, and I agree with most of you. I hate opening up a fic and Bella has three random girls as roommates, and the Cullens have adopted more kids and whatever. SM characters are awesome, that is why we are all here right?

I guess I am kinda copying Alizabeth Roc, and A Place Under Heaven (I love your new banner BTW!). I didn't think Jake was right for Bella. She was meant to be with Edward, so the kick ass chick in my head came into play.

There was a SM created character that was in love with Jacob, on the fringe somewhere? Really? How do I miss these things, I need to be a bigger fan!

Again thanks to everyone who shared their opinions!
GraveYarder
Bitten
Bitten

Postby Lalina on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:17 pm

I think the stigma about OC's comes from the fact that quite a number of them are self inserts, and so the natural assumption is that YOUR OC will be a self-insert as well.

Even if the assumption is wrong, a lot of readers will pass up OC stories for this reason.
Lalina

Postby mothlights on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:37 pm

I think Cuddlebug nailed it when she said write what you want to write. For me that's one of the big draws of FF. I've got a main OC staring out of the banner for one of mine, and there are more people willing to read it than I ever thought there'd be. I know some people will never be interested, but that's ok. Different strokes... :)
mothlights
Bitten
Bitten

Next

Return to General Fic Discussion