Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 368

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 368

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - Eek a teen is reading my fic

Eek a teen is reading my fic

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

Eek a teen is reading my fic

Postby Alizabeth Roc on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:51 pm

I've come to find a teen is reading my NC-17 fic. I'm not her mom but I am A mom and it bugs me. Other than encouraging her to consult with her parents, is there anything I can do to block? A young teen, practically a tween.

Maybe I am showing my age. I get it that kids have access on the internet, I just didn't want to be the vehicle. Maybe this is a necessary evil of going public but I gotta say I don't like it.
Alizabeth Roc
Human
Human

Re: Eek a teen is reading my fic

Postby Cuddlebug on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:45 am

Unfortunately, it's unavoidable. They're going to find a way to read it but...

Yeah, it really grosses me out too!

With their inheritance on the line, lifelong enemies Bella and Edward are forced to live and work together for the sake of family, business, and the ultimate goal: money. As the battle for control and power heats up - so do they.

Fanfic blog: Cuddlebuggery
Cuddlebug
Newborn
Newborn

Postby Slider on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:24 am

I guess I'm showing my youth, because the internet was around when I was young enough to be considered a tween. And yes, I did read NC-17 smut on FF.net, back when they had that option. I'm always surprised when writers are surprised that tweens and teens ignore disclaims, and claim to be 18 when a birthday is required, but only because that was what myself and all my friends did at that age. I guess my advice to moms on the internet would be: teenagers break the rules all the time. That's the downside to the upside that is being anon on the internet.

Slider
Bitten
Bitten

Postby xsecretxkeeperx on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:26 am

I'm with you, Slider. I was way into smut when I was a teen. I understand that it's uncomfortable, but there's nothing you can do about it, Alizabeth. And it's actually good that she's finding out about sex from fanfic instead of experience, if you ask me. But if you are really still uncomfortable with it, you can try to talk to her? Make sure she knows that what you write is fantasy and should only happen between consenting adults? I don't know.
Power of Destiny|Slipping Through the Hourglass|The Darkest Paradise

Awesome banner by the ever fantastic Anne Cullen. Thank you, Anne!!

And, if you're in need of a cure to those angsty-fic blues, check out Twific's latest addiction, An Introduction to Swirl and Daisy: The Non-Romantic Romance, by m81170. There's nothing like the innocence and geeky wonder of young, anti-social love.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
xsecretxkeeperx
Coven Member
Coven Member

Postby Alizabeth Roc on Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:54 pm

by xsecretxkeeperx on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:26 pm

I'm with you, Slider. I was way into smut when I was a teen. I understand that it's uncomfortable, but there's nothing you can do about it, Alizabeth. And it's actually good that she's finding out about sex from fanfic instead of experience, if you ask me. But if you are really still uncomfortable with it, you can try to talk to her? Make sure she knows that what you write is fantasy and should only happen between consenting adults? I don't know

Thanks for the reality check! I'm SUCH a Mom, I probably can't let myself go anywhere near giving her advice, otherwise I'll descend into asking her how she is keeping up her grades with all of the distractions.

I'll just comfort myself with the fact that if she is reading smut it is my high quality smut and have to content myself with that. I wonder how old my little girls will have to be before I let them read my stuff ::shudders::
Alizabeth Roc
Human
Human

Postby xsecretxkeeperx on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:34 pm

Alizabeth Roc wrote:Thanks for the reality check! I'm SUCH a Mom, I probably can't let myself go anywhere near giving her advice, otherwise I'll descend into asking her how she is keeping up her grades with all of the distractions.

I'll just comfort myself with the fact that if she is reading smut it is my high quality smut and have to content myself with that. I wonder how old my little girls will have to be before I let them read my stuff ::shudders::

Lol, yeah, just because I read it in my teens does not mean I won't try to shield my kids (when I have them) for as long as possible, and I don't think I'll be good with letting them read my sex scenes. It's good that she's getting it from a decent source. A lot of stuff out there is not okay for kids to read (stuff I admittedly read).

If you wrote hardcore BDSM, I'd definitely be worried (you don't right? lol), but the Twiverse is actually a very good place for teens to explore their sexuality safely. We're mostly women here (less risk of pervs) and the smut in most cases is done tactfully.
Power of Destiny|Slipping Through the Hourglass|The Darkest Paradise

Awesome banner by the ever fantastic Anne Cullen. Thank you, Anne!!

And, if you're in need of a cure to those angsty-fic blues, check out Twific's latest addiction, An Introduction to Swirl and Daisy: The Non-Romantic Romance, by m81170. There's nothing like the innocence and geeky wonder of young, anti-social love.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
xsecretxkeeperx
Coven Member
Coven Member

Postby solareclipses on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:16 am

Yeah, I have to agree with Slider, as I was in the same boat as a young teen. No harm done. I don't think I ever confused fiction for reality; I think that's a mostly unfounded fear. And, yes, I'd also agree with the notion that it's better for the kid to be reading than doing.

Just remember, if not your story, it'd be someone else's or even--gasp--a physical book. Erotic fiction is not limited to the internet, after all. It is in local bookstores and libraries, and has been read by young teens forever in a day. I've always been amused that bookstores/libraries have no rating systems, considering how nearly every other form of media does. Not that ratings do much.

Just sayin'...it's unavoidable, really. If a teen wants to read/see/etc., he or she will. They don't even need to have the internet to find "naughty" things. lol
Solar Eclipses [FF.net] [Twitter] [Fic Recs]

solareclipses
Human
Human

Postby Lalina on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:35 am

xsecretxkeeperx wrote:And it's actually good that she's finding out about sex from fanfic instead of experience, if you ask me. .

But MAN is she going to be disappointed when she really does have sex and it's like nothing she's ever read in fics! :lol:

Ok... onwards and upwards. Have to agree w/ the rest. I've had some girls admit to me their real ages and I CRINGE but there really is nothing you can do. Even if you block her she can just read w/o signing in or create a new profile lickety split and pick up where she left off. It's impossible to stop her if she really wants to read.

This is one of those times where you just have to realise you can't police other ppl's children and move on.
Lalina

Postby GraveYarder on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:16 pm

I'm sorry that you found out you have a underage reader, not cool. But I will second/third whatever with everyone else about reading smut when I was a tween. Back in the day when it was FF.net. I think I read it less now, humm...
Anyhow, I wouldn't stress about it, Mom reaction aside, they will find it elsewhere. So like you said, at least they are getting the good stuff from you to corrupt their young brains
GraveYarder
Bitten
Bitten

Postby Alizabeth Roc on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:34 pm

xsecretxkeeperx

If you wrote hardcore BDSM, I'd definitely be worried

I do not even know what BDSM is so I don't think I could be writing it LOL. Hmm, I think there is a slim chance that I will not be ready for it when I finally do have teenagers.
Alizabeth Roc
Human
Human

Next

Return to General Fic Discussion