Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 368

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 368

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - OMNIFIC DISCUSSION THREAD

OMNIFIC DISCUSSION THREAD

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

OMNIFIC DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby l.t.s. on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Personally, I think it's about to ruin Twific for everyone. You can't publish Twific with different names. It's written off the back of SM's money-making machine. Any money generated from the sale of pulled and reworked Twific belongs to SM, and she (or her lawyers) will eventually go after it.

I am disappointed. I think it's not a good idea.

Thoughts, opinions? Please share.

http://omnificpublishing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2
Last edited by l.t.s. on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l.t.s.
Newborn
Newborn

Re: So...what do we think about B&B being published?

Postby AthenaJean on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:41 pm

I am all for people being paid for doing what they love and I support the entrepreneurial spirit, but this makes me nervous. Fanfic is something that all of us enjoy and and has afforded us the opportunity to make great friends, foster the creative spirit and maybe discover some hidden talents.

I would hate to see that taken away because of copyright infringement or because SM decided enough was enough and put a kibosh on the whole thing. It's been done before.

Some could argue that B & B is lacking a real connection to Twilight and, while I agree, it could shed a light on all the other Twilight fics that do. If those many fics that play within the AU universe were to be affected that would be disappointing for those of us that enjoy that genre.

It will be interesting to see if there is any fallout from this new endeavor.
AthenaJean
Human
Human

Postby l.t.s. on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:45 pm

I agree with both of you. I wish them the best in their endeavors. I just wish their endeavors focused on original fic, not something that will be connected back to the Twilight fandom. Surely people have heard about Anne Rice putting the kibosh on all fanfic for her books. Whose to say SM won't do the same?

I mean, the link to this website is on Twilighted's front page. It's not going to be hard to connect the dots if people really want to.
l.t.s.
Newborn
Newborn

Postby l.t.s. on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:09 pm

It's like a rainbow down there in the who's online section. Please comment. I would love to hear your opinions on this.
l.t.s.
Newborn
Newborn

Postby youngxgirlsxhearts on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:14 pm

Personally, I think SMeyer's lawyers will be all over this soon and Twific will be axed. There's a lot more to it than just changing the names. It's SMeyer's work, and fanfic is illegal and tricky enough without trying to rework and publish stories.
youngxgirlsxhearts
Junior Coven Member
Junior Coven Member

Postby hearyoumee on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:23 pm

I don't think it's going to end well. Even if you change the character names, etc. it's still started from twific. And there's plenty of evidence out there to prove that. I think it's kind of shady and it's only a matter of time before SM's lawyers find out, and it doesn't help matters that this site links to the publishing site on the homepage.
hearyoumee
Human
Human

Postby dreamsofjosten on Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:21 am

EliseShaw wrote:Mixed feelings and purely selfish worries for me.

1. I haven't (yet) read B&B, though it is on my list. By all accounts I've heard, it's a wonderful book. I feel especially bad for vjgm because someone else stole her work and published it themselves. Clearly that book has what it takes to make it as a stand-alone novel. Since it's vjgm's own work and merely started as Stephenie's characters, should Stephenie own the story line and rights to it? I don't think so, but I don't know enough about legalese to know if this will be enough to get the site shut down. The fact that it is linked to the Twilighted site and that we are all well aware that it started as one of the most famous Edward/Bella fics in the fandom makes me nervous.

2. I do worry that if this practice of publishing and profiting from former fics based on Stephenie's work gets big, eventually there will be some sort of fallout like the Anne Rice thing where none of us will be allowed to write twific any more, and that would be sad, particularly since (probably) 99% of twific writers do not plan to ever have their fanfic published. Every day it seems like the list grows of fics that have been pulled. At what point will this catch the attention of the wrong people?

3. It seems like AH Twific deviates more from the realm of fanfic than in other fandoms I've been in. Almost to the point where it's really just original fiction with familiar names and a familiar built in attachment to characters. That's a slippery slope. On the one hand, I think those are some really great stories and they are among the most popular... those authors are clearly writing what people want to read. On the other, if your fic is so different from the original characterization that you can change the names and a few details and have it be unrecognizable, should it have been considered fanfiction in the first place? I wouldn't want to see those stories not posted any more, because again, I think some of the best stories fall into that category, but it is something to consider.

4. I guess ideally, an author would use their success as a springboard and keep the fic posted as fanfiction and merely use their popularity to promote new original fiction that was never published as fanfiction, but I could understand that if I had written a story line that was wildly popular and really brilliantly done, I would want to claim the success for that too, especially in this case where (as evidenced by the fact it was published by someone else), it's clear the story was awesome enough to stand on its own.

5. In short, I wish everyone the best and would love to see all these ladies become famous authors, I'm just worried this is going to mean we will now soon be forbidden from writing twific, and that would be a very sad thing for a lot of people.

I don't believe I could have stated things much better. I have not yet B&B either, but have heard good things. I can understand the mixed feelings and fear of Twi-fic getting the axe, however, I do not believe one book will be enough to cause this to happen. If SM chose to nix Twi-fic, I'm sure it would be a decision based upon egregious situations in which several authors profited from ideas clearly tied to the Twilight franchise. Like Elise, I am no expert on legalese, but am sure that action will be taken if deemed necessary.

Changing names and details is not, in itself, enough to separate Twi-inspired stories into original fiction. However, I've been reading topics in the "Publishing" Thread (http://twilighted.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=58), I have learned a lot about converting work into published manuscripts. Many AH stories are amazingly written and have wonderful, original plot lines. Some of the characters are a far cry from SM's, and the only thing that really ties the work to Twi-fic is the use of SM's character names. From what I've gathered, if a fanfic author has a prayer of being published, they need to pull their stories and do substantial rewrites. With that said, it is likely that B&B has been significantly edited to reflect these necessary changes, thus separating the work from Twi-fic.

Fanfiction, although caveatting off of popular published work, is a wonderful arena where novice writer's can develop their craft and try their hand at producing work. It's ideal because there already is a fan base craving more. Taking an original story idea and plugging in already beloved characters practically guarantees that at least someone will read it, even if the character development and storyline is entirely different from the published work. The author can receive feedback, which will help them develop their writing and story. In this instance that substantial edits have been made to completely distance one's work from fanfic, I don't personally believe it is unethical to pursue publication. In B&Bs case, I think the fact that the title remained the same is what is at the forefront of the controversy, seeing as the fanfic version was published online under the same name. This serves as a direct link to Tw-dom and is a bit dodgey. However, I have no clue on the legal aspects of publication and copyright, but I'm sure Omnific is well versed in this area.

As far as profit and readership is concerned, this is all circumstantial. Just because a novel is published does not mean it's going to achieve extreme success, or even minor success. Readership is tied to that factor. Even though many people have read this story online for free, there number of potential readers and buyers outside of Twi-fic is larger. Thus, even if Twi-fic readers wouldn't purchase the book because they've already read it for free online, there are many others who live their lives outside of Twilight and fanfic completely (shocking, I know...note the sarcasm :) ).

Anyway, the general consensus I'm seeing is that everyone is supportive of the author themselves, which is truly great to hear. I believe that everyone's feelings in regards to the issue are completely valid. It will be very interesting to follow the "fanfic publication" issue for this and other stories.

Thanks for starting this thought provoking thread! It's definitely interesting to hear opinions in regards to this matter!
dreamsofjosten
Bitten
Bitten

Postby kittandchips on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:04 pm

Fanfiction is an illegal act of violating a copyright by creating derivative works. The banners are an illegal act of reproducing copyrighted images. This entire website exists under the good graces of the copyright holders of the Twilight saga, and it's a gift that we are allowed to write fanfic. The only reason they turn a blind eye to it is because there's no profit being made.

The people behind this are taking that gift and using it to make money. It's not illegal to publish original fic that started life as fanfic, but fanfiction itself is vulnerable to being shut down at any moment. I know how it would look to me if I was a lawyer working for the Twilight publishing house - like someone was looking for loopholes so they could make money off the Twilight fandom without having to pay royalties to the Twilight copyright holders.

Even if this doesn't get TwiFic shut down, copyright holders in other fandoms may use this to justify why they don't allow fanfiction based on their works.
"... I'd like very much for our family to be worth protecting. ... If we make exceptions to protect ourselves, we risk something much more important. We risk losing the essence of who we are." ~ Carlisle, Midnight Sun
kittandchips
Bitten
Bitten

Postby Essay33 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:17 pm

kittandchips wrote:Fanfiction is an illegal act of violating a copyright by creating derivative works. The banners are an illegal act of reproducing copyrighted images. This entire website exists under the good graces of the copyright holders of the Twilight saga, and it's a gift that we are allowed to write fanfic. The only reason they turn a blind eye to it is because there's no profit being made.

...Even if this doesn't get TwiFic shut down, copyright holders in other fandoms may use this to justify why they don't allow fanfiction based on their works.

Yes. You are quite correct. I envy the intellectual property attorneys who will make considerable money off this situation. And they will, I assure you. The minute someone profits financially from someone else's creation--make no mistake, Stephenie Meyer OWNS (with all that implies, legally) all that is Twilight--it's time for court action. No matter how gracious Stephenie or any other author is, there are publishing companies and motion picture companies and a host of other entities behind her making a LOT of legitimate profit from Stephenie's creation. It's not just about her good graces, it's about their profiting--or not--from a use of her creation.

*shrugs* I've got no dog in this fight, but It will be entertaining to watch the results unfold. I think it was inevitable, given the nature of fanfic writing and the evolving publishing industry.
"Where I am not understood, it shall be concluded that something very useful and profound is couched underneath." --Jonathan Swift, A Tale of a Tub

ImageImageImage
Essay33
Newborn
Newborn

Postby soundandthefury on Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:47 pm

The legality of publishing scrubbed fanfic is something I know nothing about. I actually posed this hypothetical on another thread before the announcement, because I was wondering about The Office. I still wonder.

Um...is there going to be a backlash because stories that were previously available as free fanfic are gone, possibly before the ending was revealed, and will only be available for purchase in the future?
soundandthefury
Beta Alumni
Beta Alumni

Next

Return to General Fic Discussion