Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 368

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - Life or FF after BD

Life or FF after BD

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

Life or FF after BD

Postby jennlynnfs on Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:19 pm

With the imminent release of BD this weekend, the Twilight universe as we know it will change. I'm sure it'll effect some current stories out there and some won't be effected at all.

But I've noticed a lot of authors who post WIP, say in their A/N that they're not sure if they're going to continue writing their FF b/c there might not be any interest after BD.

I think there will be an insane amount of BD FF once everyone has read the book (which will probably be next week) and then once the frenzy dies down, things will get back to normal, right?

As a reader, I'm still interested in WIP FF and will want to read those once I'm done with BD. There are a couple "post -bite" stories that I read and even though they probably won't go along with what will be cannon very soon, I still want to read them, but I'd treat them as an AU works.

As a writer, by god I will finish my story with bloody fingertips if I have to regardless of what happens in BD. ;) But I don't think it's that big of a deal for my story b/c it's an AH story.

Anyway, I was just thinking about this this week mostly due to the frenzy of so many authors trying to get their story finished before BD comes out and a few of them putting notes up about whether or not they should continue.

Anybody else wonder about this? Or maybe this is just me obssessing about the fandom and I need to step away slowly with my hands in the air. :)
Last edited by jennlynnfs on Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banner by autumndreamer76

Nominated for Best Novel-Incomplete at the Eddie and Bellie Awards. February 2009
http://www.thecatt.net/tw/Vote.aspx

I'm now on twitter.
http://twitter.com/jennlynnfs

jennlynnfs@gmail.com
jennlynnfs
Newborn
Newborn

Re: Life or FF after BD

Postby Nightmare and Dream on Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:23 pm

They all have to continue with the fanfics cuz I will continue reading ffs. They can't stop!
<--- needs fanfics like air

There will be a lot of new fanfictions once BD is released. I don't think it will somehow change the stories which are currently in-progress. Not if you have it all planned out.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but chains and whips excite me,
so tie me up and throw me down and show me that you like me
^-^[/center]
Nightmare and Dream
Junior Coven Member
Junior Coven Member

Postby halojones on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:50 pm

(okay, trolling the boards, as I count down til midnight with my wristband like a dorky 14 year old...lol)....

My first thought when I first dabbled in ffland was that once Bella and Edward had sex, maybe ff would die down. Cause I think a lot of the drive to read and create ff with b/e in particular had to do with their inability to act on their desires up until now.

But after hanging out in twilight ffland for about four months now, I'm thinking probably "neigh" on that idea. Because Bella and Edward have had so MUCH FF sexy times, in every possible configuration, you would think we'd all gotten our fill. But apparently we haven't....lol

So, I'm think this more. That post BD, the desire to read twilight ff will still be there for the most part. Why I think that is that the drive to continue to relive and recreate b/e in various possibilities(au/human stories in particular seem to be pretty dominant nowadays) speaks to the b/e relationship factor more than anything. We like their chemistry, their self denial, and their destiny....and we will be up for watching that basic storyline play out in various situations(as ff has shown in terms of what stories are popular).

SEcondly, the series may be over...but now we have the movie, and possible a franchise to keep people pumped about twilight. And we still have midnight sun to look forward too. So, we still have a lot of "SM-branded" paraphenalia to keep our interest up--and a lot of ff authors who are willing to be the quick fix as we wait in between the SM branded goodness! :nana:
halojones
Coven Member
Coven Member

Postby cdunbar on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:10 am

I think after reading BD there is going to be a HUGE surge in FF, especially when it comes to the smutty stuff. I know I'll be finishing my story, regardless if I lose any readers from lack of interest.
cdunbar
Geek Goddess
Geek Goddess

Location: In Texas, blaming the fro my hair has become on the humidity

Postby Capricorn75 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:13 am

Desperately reading through FF to get the image of 'BD' out of my mind....
Click here for a list of my favorite stories.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1449711/Capricorn75

Capricorn75
Twilighted Donor
Twilighted Donor

Postby tracie1976 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:18 am

Oh! I would love to read more fanfic! Especially ones where Stephenie left off the smut :ooolala: :hyper:
So many vampires...so little time.
tracie1976
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Postby Minisinoo on Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:00 pm

This is an interesting question. I've been in two different fandoms now -- one for quite a while -- in which the "canon" ended. In one case, the canon ended 'badly,' or at least in a way that really FRUSTRATED most of the fans. That was X-Men and the movie, X3, nearly KILLED the fandom.

I was in X-Men for 6 years, one of the longest lived writers in that fandom, so I got to see how it shifted and changed, but after X3 came out ... I had no more stories to tell. For one thing, it managed to kill off both my favorite characters (always a bit of a downer!), but it was just so ... gah! Some people did come into the fandom afterwards, but not a lot. The general trend was a lot of fic for a year after X1 and then again, after X2 ... albeit of different types. With 3 years in between, it also left room for looooong pieces (including some of my own, which were novels).

But X3 did so much damage, a number of people left and didn't come back, and very few entered. The fandom is still going -- but largely as part of the pre-film-existing comicverse. Most of the writers who remained "cross over" and write stories based in both the movieverse and the comicverse, and these days, mostly in the comicverse. I mention that because Twilight also has a film, but the film isn't that different from the books. The X-Men films were like yet another form of X-canon. See, in the comics, there are a WIDE variety of "books," or directions. Canon? Which one? LOL! No, I'm not kidding. There's 616, Apocalypse, Ultimate-X, movieverse, reboot, M, etc., etc.

So X-Men has been around as a fandom before the first film in 2000, and even before the internet exploded in the mid-90s -- and it's STILL around. Sizewise, it's not a big as, say, Harry Potter or SGA. But it's long-lived, like Star Trek, and still sizable. So it's useful for comparison. The fandom survives due to the comics ... which continue. There's new canon. But the movieverse side? Not so much.

Now, Harry Potter is the other, and may be more applicable to Twilight in terms of a book series w/ attendant films. After Deathly Hallows (book 7) there were people who left (for that matter, people who'd left after book 6 and even book 5). But it wasn't -- initially -- a big exodus.

But a year later ... the major pairings, whether canon (like Harry/Ginny or Ron/Hermione) or non-canon (like Snape/Harry or Draco/Harry or even Draco/Hermione) are still in pretty good shape. BUT the "rarepairs" and the gen? It's faded -- no question. A lot of writers, including some of the better known, have quit writing -- they ran out of stories to tell, just like I did in X-Men.

Cedric Diggory is my favorite character. Fiction about him exploded after film 4 -- largely due to Robert, honestly. He brought character to a 2D secondary character. For a good year, there was Cedric fic all over. After that, however, it began to fade, and by the time DH came out, it was pretty thin on the ground. After DH? Virtually gone. I persist with mine because they're novels and as such, self-sustaining. But even the two biggest pairings for him -- Cedric/Hermione and Cedric/Harry -- have faded. Cedric/Harry persists the most, perhaps because it's slash and fans of slash are used to writing in the face of little to no canon support.

Of course, my impression is that DH overall went over better the BD did, DH epilogue notwithstanding. There continues to be fanfic that is non-epilogue-compliant, as well as fanfic that's entirely about the "new" generation -- Harry's (and others') kids. But it's ... maybe half the size that it was?

Twilight might be a mix of X-Men and HP. Like X-Men and X3, it seems a number of hardcore fans weren't happy with BD. But like HP, it's a books series with attendant movies, not movies only as one part of a much larger, mixed-media type of fandom with a fluctuating canon, depending.

My guess is that Twilight will go strong for another 6 months, then perhaps begin to fade unless there's reason to sustain it with the promise of further canon, but that it won't entirely fade, especially not for the more popular pairings/characters. Some will "re-write" BD in their own directions, while other stories will explore Jacob and Nessie, or other things introduced in BD.

But I don't think it'll be as big, and frustration with BD WILL likely drive out some writers. But -- and ironically -- I think the fandom may survive better than if BD was what everybody wanted. Sometimes it takes a little frustration to keep fandom going. As long as it's not a complete trainwreck that kills off major characters -- like X3.
Minisinoo
Bitten
Bitten

Postby malaleen on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:12 pm

One thing that I think will help fandom and fan fiction continue post BD is the fact that AU fics are so popular among writers and readers. I'd go so far as to say we might not see as much post canon fics, or even many missing moments. But I do think authors can continue to go strong and use some of the good things from BD in AU fics.
malaleen
Human
Human

Postby qjmom on Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:35 pm

The funny thing is that I am on my second read through right now and as I read I keep thinking...hmmmm I think this would be a good FF!!

I've already got 3 that are playing in my head right now!

I think if anything, there is going to be even more ff out there because so many people were disappointed (not me!! Loved it!!) and will want to rewrite it!
qjmom
Coven Advisor
Coven Advisor

Postby jennlynnfs on Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:07 pm

Minisinoo wrote:My guess is that Twilight will go strong for another 6 months, then perhaps begin to fade unless there's reason to sustain it with the promise of further canon, but that it won't entirely fade, especially not for the more popular pairings/characters. Some will "re-write" BD in their own directions, while other stories will explore Jacob and Nessie, or other things introduced in BD.

But I don't think it'll be as big, and frustration with BD WILL likely drive out some writers. But -- and ironically -- I think the fandom may survive better than if BD was what everybody wanted. Sometimes it takes a little frustration to keep fandom going. As long as it's not a complete trainwreck that kills off major characters -- like X3.

Minisinoo,
I hope you don't mind that I cut down your quote. I did read all of it. (I didn't know that the X-Men fandom was fragmented in such a way and I found the insight into the HP fandom enligtening.)

But the last two paragraphs are really relevant to what's happening in the fandom right now. There is a trend toward "My Version of BD" fics right now and a slow burgeoning of exploration BD fics. (I'm intrigued by the Leah ones.)

I found your comment about the fandom surviving better this way than if it was what everyone wanted very intriguing. I was a little dismayed to see such a split in the fandom, but you are right. A little frustration can keep the fandom going. If anything, it's defintely started a new branch of FF. Although, I'm not sure if I'm ready to read any BD FF. I enjoyed the book, but I'm not really interested in "new" BD versions. I might try the character insight FF like the Leah ones and maybe even some Kate/Garrett fics.

I really thought my fandom interest would die down. LOL!
Banner by autumndreamer76

Nominated for Best Novel-Incomplete at the Eddie and Bellie Awards. February 2009
http://www.thecatt.net/tw/Vote.aspx

I'm now on twitter.
http://twitter.com/jennlynnfs

jennlynnfs@gmail.com
jennlynnfs
Newborn
Newborn

Next

Return to General Fic Discussion