Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 368

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - What erks you in fandom???

What erks you in fandom???

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

What erks you in fandom???

Postby arlverde on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:18 pm

Hope this is allowed. I am curious--I am hopeless addicted to fanfic and can't really get enough of it but I know I have pet peeves when I am reading and can turn me away from a story quicker then a vampire.

I know two of my biggest pet peeves are when authors struggle to use exact quotes or cannon references in their fics. I think the second one is when the caricature the character Bella the Bumbling and that is pretty much her through the whole story or Emmett the sex fiend. I don't mind Bumbling Bella, Sexaholic Emmett but give them some substance KWIM?

What are your pet peeves?
arlverde
Newborn
Newborn

Re: What erks you in fandom???

Postby cdunbar on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:33 pm

I really, really hate it when the author cuts in on the story with a little A/N with something stupid like (A/N: Haha! I know!).

Nothing turns me off a story faster than that.
cdunbar
Geek Goddess
Geek Goddess

Location: In Texas, blaming the fro my hair has become on the humidity

Postby arlverde on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:39 pm

cdunbar wrote:I really, really hate it when the author cuts in on the story with a little A/N with something stupid like (A/N: Haha! I know!).

Nothing turns me off a story faster than that.

I agree it totally breaks the flow of the story---I'm usually like HUH what was the for.
arlverde
Newborn
Newborn

Postby babsenchanted on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:20 pm

I have been writing for years. But I never share any of my stories, because I hated English in school and never paid any attention. I know I use too many commas, and I like to skip alot of the details.

So this topic scares me. I don't know if I want to be picked apart.
"Why did that guy chuck my weiner?" nerd on Drake and Josh
ImageImageImageImage
babsenchanted
Coven Member
Coven Member

Postby cdunbar on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:50 pm

^points up^ I completely understand that.

I don't use enough commas, I don't stay in the right tense half the time, I use 'I' too much, and I always try to skip the details to get right to the action, or the 'good stuff'. *sigh*

I've got tremendous respect for vgjm for beta-ing my chapters. I know it can't be easy for her...and she probably winces a lot when they're still in the rough draft stage.
Last edited by cdunbar on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdunbar
Geek Goddess
Geek Goddess

Postby babsenchanted on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:54 pm

So the art is in finding someone to fix all your flaws??
ImageImageImageImage
babsenchanted
Coven Member
Coven Member

Postby cdunbar on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:12 pm

Yes! That's it exactly.
cdunbar
Geek Goddess
Geek Goddess

Postby arlverde on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:32 pm

babsenchanted wrote:I have been writing for years. But I never share any of my stories, because I hated English in school and never paid any attention. I know I use too many commas, and I like to skip alot of the details.

So this topic scares me. I don't know if I want to be picked apart.

I didn't mean to start that thread to really pick apart anyone cause God knows I am not writing any fanfic (though I really do want to try, maybe one day)

Commas and stuff like that don't bother me but over characterization, unnecessary authors notes in the middle of a fic, like the author telling you something is funny. I mean if its funny we should know right? It also drives me crazy when in the middle of a fic I start seeing they were 2gether 4ever. Texting is killing the written language. But I guess its the teacher in me. I give props to people who have the guts to post there writing because they leave themselves wide open. :yankees:
arlverde
Newborn
Newborn

Postby cdunbar on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:38 pm

arlverde wrote:I didn't mean to start that thread to really pick apart anyone cause God knows I am not writing any fanfic (though I really do want to try, maybe one day)

Commas and stuff like that don't bother me but over characterization, unnecessary authors notes in the middle of a fic, like the author telling you something is funny. I mean if its funny we should know right? It also drives me crazy when in the middle of a fic I start seeing they were 2gether 4ever. Texting is killing the written language. But I guess its the teacher in me. I give props to people who have the guts to post there writing because they leave themselves wide open.

I completely 100% agree with you. I hardly ever write text messages and even then I can't bring myself to use much 'txt lingo'.
cdunbar
Geek Goddess
Geek Goddess

Postby babsenchanted on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:39 pm

It was just my insecurity talking more than anything. I so want to share my work. But I am scared. So post away. Maybe I will learn what not to do...

Really wish I had paid attention is school.

Right now... I know not to tell you what I think is funny in my story!
ImageImageImageImage
babsenchanted
Coven Member
Coven Member

Next

Return to General Fic Discussion