Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - What erks you in fandom???

What erks you in fandom???

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

Re: What erks you in fandom???

Postby jujubakiller on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:53 pm

jujubakiller wrote:Really, why say Bella or Edward have children if there's no pint to it? Right now I'm reading a story, I'm just finishing chapter 4, and so far, Bella's kid has been mentioned at least once every chapter, but he hasn't shown up even once, and, Bella is always out, doing this an that, during the day and even during the night. Really, where does her kid go to, an alternate universe where another Bella takes care of him? And this would be pretty easy to solve, if the author took out the kid from the story, nothing would be missed at all.

And I'm out! There's too many inconsistencies in this story for me.
jujubakiller
Coven Member
Coven Member

Postby alexajaye on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:42 pm

jujubakiller wrote:Really, why say Bella or Edward have children if there's no pint to it? Right now I'm reading a story, I'm just finishing chapter 4, and so far, Bella's kid has been mentioned at least once every chapter, but he hasn't shown up even once, and, Bella is always out, doing this an that, during the day and even during the night. Really, where does her kid go to, an alternate universe where another Bella takes care of him? And this would be pretty easy to solve, if the author took out the kid from the story, nothing would be missed at all.

Plot twist? Reason for them to not be together? Kid doesn't like the other who isn't their parent? What I don't get is why people think it's still acceptable to portray Edward or Bella as absentee parents when they have no reason to be, i.e. no job, no horrible ex, no night school, so why are they never home with their children?

Wait a minute, this reminds me of the same thing that happened in Breaking Dawn. Maybe that's why people still think it's okay. I never really liked that part of the story. Why fight tooth and nail to bring your child into the world if you aren't going to spend every bleeding second with them after they're born -- especially in those years when they really need you to be there?

I don't get that, especially with SM being a mom.

Someone please write me a story where Bella or Edward choose their child over this new, granted, supposedly, long-lasting person that's come into their life and answered all their prayers! You know, those ones you never say aloud but wear over your face all the time.
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Dark Angel: Light Within Darkness EdwardxOC

The Ties that Bind Post BD ExB

The Choices We Make Sort of Edward/Bella with some Lucy at the end

Rainbows and Storm Clouds - Carlisle and Edward

^My Twilight stories on FanFiction.

Bonding over Debussy and Chocolate Milk

My New story on The Writer's Coffee Shop.

My Photobucket

^Warning: Some spoilers unless you read my stories.

^^awesome banner made by Me

^^ Banner made by me for my new story <-- Check it out
alexajaye
Newborn
Newborn

Postby WithMe92 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:12 pm

There was a story I stumbled upon a few days ago where Bella and Edward never had their kids - they were always napping. I had a nice laugh about that.

Also, I try to skip over fics now where the kids are from previous relationships - unless it's from an author I 'trust'. I'm tired of the bratty behavior towards the significant other most of the kids have for no reason at all and the passive behavior from whoever is the parent in the story and lets their kid dictate their life.

And there is almost ALWAYS a scene with a fight with the phrase "You're not the real parent". I mean what a slap in the face.
WithMe92
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Postby jujubakiller on Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:48 am

WithMe92 wrote:There was a story I stumbled upon a few days ago where Bella and Edward never had their kids - they were always napping. I had a nice laugh about that.

Also, I try to skip over fics now where the kids are from previous relationships - unless it's from an author I 'trust'. I'm tired of the bratty behavior towards the significant other most of the kids have for no reason at all and the passive behavior from whoever is the parent in the story and lets their kid dictate their life.

And there is almost ALWAYS a scene with a fight with the phrase "You're not the real parent". I mean what a slap in the face.

Well, at least in the story you were reading there was an explanation. In the one I was reading there was no explanation AT ALL about where the kid was. I mean, there was nothing saying he was with a baby sitter, or with Bella's mom, or whatever. And all the while Bella was going out with Alice, and with Edward, and spending a whole day out!
jujubakiller
Coven Member
Coven Member

Postby Sylvianna on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:40 pm

I haven't found one as glaringly obvious as that one, jujubakiller. But I have found many where Bella initially leaves the kid with someone and it seems it's going to be for a couple of hours or so but then she gets so absorbed by Edward than she ends up forgetting about the kid altogether, sometimes for a whole day (and maybe the night too), not even calling the person doing the babysitting or the kid at least to warn them that she's not coming back until she gets what she's looking for. Then, the next morning she goes back home all "hey, thank you for staying with the kid, how is he/she?" like if the character that stayed with the kid had any alternative to staying with him/her. And also showing completely disregard for the fact that the adult character may have had his/her own plans.

I think there are many authors who want to have stories with kids but don't make the characters act like real parents- or adults- when being one doesn't fit what they want the characters to do (or maybe they aren't parents themselves or have never given much thought to what being a good parent entails).

When I find that kind of stories, I can't keep liking Bella and most of the times end up flouncing. I find her extremely selfish and that's something I cannot forgive a main character for, unless the author is consciously using an antihero as the main character (I like that kind of stories but I'm even more demanding with them, because the character has to be so very well-built in order to have the reader connecting with it regardless of all the faults). The truth is that when sensacionalist papers show stories where a mother behaves that selfishly (leaving the child with whomever, for as long as she wants, in order to act like a teenager with no responsibilities), people get very judgemental, but it seems that in fanfiction that's quite OK.
Sylvianna
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Postby jujubakiller on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:16 am

I'm just here to complain that the Forum is dying. I'm in some Facebook communities, but it's just not the same.
And I got really disapointed with something in one of them, but I couldn't really complain, since the creator of the group can do anything he/she wishes to do with it. That's why I like the Forum, because even though someone creates a thread, the person doesn't own it, and can't kick out members just because. Only the moderators can do that, and I think that's a little more fair. I mean, I know this threads were never perfect, and there was a lot of fighting, but stil...
jujubakiller
Coven Member
Coven Member

Postby Longing for Edward on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:23 am

jujubakiller wrote:I'm just here to complain that the Forum is dying. I'm in some Facebook communities, but it's just not the same.
And I got really disapointed with something in one of them, but I couldn't really complain, since the creator of the group can do anything he/she wishes to do with it. That's why I like the Forum, because even though someone creates a thread, the person doesn't own it, and can't kick out members just because. Only the moderators can do that, and I think that's a little more fair. I mean, I know this threads were never perfect, and there was a lot of fighting, but stil...

I agree - I miss the long discussions and banter, I have joined a few Facebook communities but don't find the same focus there and Twitter is ssssooooo not me.

I was hoping that with the release of the last movie we would see things pick up but it is still pretty quiet.

I am glad to see I am not alone.

Longing for Edward
Coven Member
Coven Member

Postby WithMe92 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:08 am

jujubakiller wrote:I'm just here to complain that the Forum is dying. I'm in some Facebook communities, but it's just not the same.

I've found Tumblr to be a great place to discuss fandom things. Like here (from what I've seen) if someone expressed an opinion on a story that was different/didn't compliment the author 100% you were discouraged from talking about the story or called a "hater". Tumblr isn't 100% drama-free of course but I feel more open to talk there.
WithMe92
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Postby jujubakiller on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:13 am

WithMe92 wrote:

I've found Tumblr to be a great place to discuss fandom things. Like here (from what I've seen) if someone expressed an opinion on a story that was different/didn't compliment the author 100% you were discouraged from talking about the story or called a "hater". Tumblr isn't 100% drama-free of course but I feel more open to talk there.

I really have no idea how tumbler works. Maybe I will take a look and see if I like it.
jujubakiller
Coven Member
Coven Member

Postby WithMe92 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:51 am

Even thought I say negative things about Stephenie Meyer I do respect that she built up her own fanbase. The whole fanfic-turned-published has left a bad taste in my mouth after many of these writers just use her fans as guinea pigs.
WithMe92
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Fic Discussion