Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 368

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - What erks you in fandom???

What erks you in fandom???

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

Re: What erks you in fandom???

Postby Rialle on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:56 pm

I hate it when an author makes Jacob into a murderer/kidnapper/rapist/psychopath just because they don't like him. Sure, have a personal opinion, but don't go and completely distort canon just because you feel like it.
Rialle
Newborn
Newborn

Postby vjgm on Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:25 pm

blondie wrote:
Nightmare and Dream wrote:I hate it when people just write some crap to keep the story going. A good author must know when to end a story.

Can I get an AMEN?

Of course, the flip side is just as bad: cutting the story off at the knees because the author got bored or didn't how to end it... plan ahea
d

Endings are the most difficult part of the story to write for me anyway. It is the last impression the reader has of your story. You could write the greatest story ever, but if you end it in a lame way... it ruins it.

I have read a few where I was in love with the story and then the last chapter posted and I felt like I had wasted my time in reading it.

As much effort as you put into making your first chapter good, you should put into your last chapter to make it work as a whole.
vjgm
Coven Advisor
Coven Advisor

Postby limona on Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:58 pm

I'm a little late to the party, but I'm joining anyway. Personally, I find shudder/shutter & lose/loose to be the most irksome, but those mistakes won't actually stop me from reading something that has a good premise. I do not bother reading anything with an error in the summary or that abuses the English language in the first chapter. It's just not worth the headache to read really poor prose.

Also irritating: updates that are 500 words long. Personally, if the updates are going to be that short, I would rather just wait until the whole story is done and read it in one piece.
limona
Twilighted Donor
Twilighted Donor

Postby Rialle on Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:09 pm

limona wrote:I'm a little late to the party, but I'm joining anyway. Personally, I find shudder/shutter & lose/loose to be the most irksome, but those mistakes won't actually stop me from reading something that has a good premise. I do not bother reading anything with an error in the summary or that abuses the English language in the first chapter. It's just not worth the headache to read really poor prose.

Also irritating: updates that are 500 words long. Personally, if the updates are going to be that short, I would rather just wait until the whole story is done and read it in one piece.

K, this may be a stupid question, but 'shutter'? As in window shutter? As in a cover for a window? Who mixes up 'shudder' and 'shutter'?? They have two completely different meanings!
Rialle
Newborn
Newborn

Postby amdove on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:25 pm

Rialle wrote:K, this may be a stupid question, but 'shutter'? As in window shutter? As in a cover for a window? Who mixes up 'shudder' and 'shutter'?? They have two completely different meanings!

It's sad but I see this one quite frequently. I just read an update today, in fact that did it.
amdove

sparkly doom!
amdove
Newborn
Newborn

Postby cdunbar on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:37 pm

I have to admit I actually mix those words up.

<<--- needs help with spelling sometimes
cdunbar
Geek Goddess
Geek Goddess

Location: In Texas, blaming the fro my hair has become on the humidity

Postby Minisinoo on Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:22 pm

Shutter/shudder and except/accept ... &etc.

The problem is that too many people no longer READ. These are words that SOUND similar when heard/spoken aloud, but have very different meanings when written. I'm a college prof in RL and I see a LOT of this.

Another grammar error that drives me around the BEND is "that" when it should be "who." "Who" is the relative pronoun for a person or group of people, NOT "that." Now, I can understand confusion for that/which ... but that/who? It's EASY to distinguish them:

"Edward, who'd driven to the store ..."
"The Cullens, who liked cars ..."
"The baseball team, who lost the game ..."
Minisinoo
Bitten
Bitten

Postby Amelia Desfalon on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:39 pm

My little pev is stories that have no conflict. A meet, fall, in love, and get married story is cute and all, but why should I keep reading when I know what is going to happen. Do the unexpected and keep us guessing!
Amelia Desfalon
Newborn
Newborn

Postby Nightmare and Dream on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:58 am

Amelia Desfalon wrote:My little pev is stories that have no conflict. A meet, fall, in love, and get married story is cute and all, but why should I keep reading when I know what is going to happen. Do the unexpected and keep us guessing!

<--- agrees with Amelia

I need a bit drama/angst/conflict!
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but chains and whips excite me,
so tie me up and throw me down and show me that you like me
^-^[/center]
Nightmare and Dream
Junior Coven Member
Junior Coven Member

Postby bethaboo on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:37 am

I have several pet peeves (hey, I was a lit major in college, I can't help myself):

1. an 80+ chapter story that resolves any and all plot points by chapter 3. Then for the rest of the story, they go and do "activities" and/or sex to fill up the rest of the story. Yes, I know we live in an immeadiate gratification culture, but if you can't even manage to space your plot out, then I'm not even going to bother. There can be some hot foreplay moments--you don't just have to fling them into bed after a few days.

2. Several people have said this but I have to agree. I read a really great story the other day--the premise was fantastic, the writing was pretty good, and it was HOT. But there were misspelled words, grammar mistakes, etc. I wanted to PM the author and say, I love your story but your mistakes are killing my buzz, let me fix them for you! Unfortunately, most of the time, if I find mistakes in the first few paragraphs, I'll give up and stop reading. This story came highly recommended and I am glad I finished it, but man, it could have been so much better.

3. AU Human stories where the characters have no visible means of support (i.e. it's mentioned they have a job, but they never go, or it's just not mentioned at all), and they spend money like there's no tomorrow. Hey, I wish I had thousands of dollars to spend on clothes, movie tickets, road trips, food and booze too, but unfortunately there's this little thing called financial responsibility. I know these are fantasies, and you can let loose a little, but it has to be at least semi-believable. Oh, and don't just make everyone stinking rich. Not believable.

4. Tons of song lyrics. Okay, some authors do this really well. I can think of a handful. Most don't, though. If you include a link to the song, I'd so much rather just go listen to it, because I can pretty much guarantee that reading the words isn't going to do much for me, and it just interrupts the flow of the writing. I think that Halojones in I Hate Myself for Loving You is probably the best exception to this. I never skip her lyrics and I always find them pertinent to the story.
bethaboo
Senior Validation Beta
Senior Validation Beta

PreviousNext

Return to General Fic Discussion