Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 368

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - Do you think your fic gets the reviews it deserves?

Do you think your fic gets the reviews it deserves?

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

Re: Do you think your fic gets the reviews it deserves?

Postby alexajaye on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:44 pm

I'm obviously coming into this VERY late, but I've only been posting Twilight FanFiction since oh, January, when I posted my first story on FanFiction.net. And I'll be completely honest, because it's impossible to deny the truth even to myself. I'm disappointed that out of all the people who read and visit my story, so few are compelled to leave an opinion as to how they feel about it. But I know the reason for this, so when someone does leave me a review, I'm more appreciative of it than usual -- especially if it's more than "oh, this is awesome, please post more."

I'm with the people here who've said they prefer a solid review, good or bad, as opposed to the ones merely stating, or rather demanding another chapter. I've been writing since I was nine, and we probably shouldn't discuss exactly how old I am, and I've always only ever written my stories for my own enjoyment. That being said, I also agree with anyone who said they wouldn't have posted the story if not to have people read it. That's the reason why sites like these exist, yes?

I have a AU story without Bella (It's pre-Twilight and kind of complicated) and I also have a post BD story that isn't really a "continuation" of Breaking Dawn. It's just an idea I had and wanted to share. That's all. Arguably, the post BD story, which has Edward and Bella, has gotten more attention and reviews than the AU. Is this fair? You're asking the wrong girl. They're both like my babies, and they both have their strong points and weak points.

Do I as an author garner the attention I want? No. But do I have a problem with that? No. It's fan fiction, for Goodness sake. I want to be published one day, and when I have things like an editor and a publicist, I'll worry about networking for those stories. Now, ask me if I wish the people who read my stories also left a review telling me what they thought, and I'll say yes. The ratio is horribly skewed, and I'm at a loss to understand why.

I know I'm not really writing what people want to read, and what can I say in defense of this? I'm not a reporter and I don't have a set list of things to chose from when picking a story. When it hits me, it just does.

And while I'll admit that I'm slightly envious, I'm also a little disgusted to see people talk about how they're disappointed when a story doesn't hit more than a certain number of reviews. I never really thought anyone would read my stories because of their subjects, and you want to know something, people who read it and leave reviews are awesome people in my book. I just wish more people were brave like those who leave comments, even ones that tell me it could be better.

Anyway, that's my two cents. And then some. ;-)
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Dark Angel: Light Within Darkness EdwardxOC

The Ties that Bind Post BD ExB

The Choices We Make Sort of Edward/Bella with some Lucy at the end

Rainbows and Storm Clouds - Carlisle and Edward

^My Twilight stories on FanFiction.

Bonding over Debussy and Chocolate Milk

My New story on The Writer's Coffee Shop.

My Photobucket

^Warning: Some spoilers unless you read my stories.

^^awesome banner made by Me

^^ Banner made by me for my new story <-- Check it out
alexajaye
Newborn
Newborn

Postby twilover76 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:00 am

I am a new poster over here (obviously). Actually, I am a new author as well. I have just started writing creatively, using new addiction to Twilight as my inspiration. I have been getting a lot of traffic on my stories and actually have been surprised with the seemingly high number of times they have been tagged as favorites or for alerts. However, the number of reviews don't seem to reflect the traffic. I'm glad to have run across this topic because I see that it is common. It just seems to motivate me more when people leave feedback for me, but I can't get discouraged if they don't. Anyway, thanks to the authors that left notes in this thread.

If any authors out there want to check out my stories, I would love to know your thoughts (my profile page with links to my stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2730268/twilover76). I got into this because there are so many talented writers out there and some of the stories I have read just blow my mind.

Artist of both banners: Mehek18, site Mehek18.tumblr.com
twilover76
Human
Human

Re: Do you think your fic get the reviews it deserves?

Postby bauer5152 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:54 am

tiffanyanne3 wrote:to be honest, i wasn't expecting that many reviews when i first posted my little story. but with the number of readers i've accumulated, i've definitely been somewhat disappointed in the number of reviews i've received. the one chapter where i bribed readers to review for an extra slice of lemon in their inboxes, i ended up with something like 40 reviews! that made my day. but i also felt sorta lame for bribing. lol.

i understand that if i were a published author, i wouldn't be receiving reviews from every reader. but i'm not a published author, and i do crave approval. but beyond the stroking of my ego, it's really creative criticism i'd love to hear from my readers.

either way, i'm just happy people actually continue to read my little brainchild. :) it makes me hopeful that i *could* have a manuscript catch a publisher's attention one day.

Thanks you for the post.
bauer5152
Human
Human

Postby FacelessGirl on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:49 am

I don’t know about deserving reviews. I don’t like that choice of word, because what are the criteria to actually claim that you deserve them?

But – are the numbers of reviews disappointing? Yeah (for my “big” story) they kind of are. This fanfiction thing is were we as writers can learn and are able to grow and get better. So when the feedback from those who read it is missing, it’s a little disappointing.

It’s said that about 1 in 100 leaves a review; in that case I’m about 180 reviews short…
I would, of course, like more feedbacks – as I said, they help us grow as writers. Giving us, if not criticism we can learn from, then a boost of self-confidents to continue.

I write because I like to play with words and ideas pops into my head, and until the day where I am ready to write something that is 100% my own thing. I’ll stay where I am, short in reviews and everything. =P

FacelessGirl
Human
Human

Previous

Return to General Fic Discussion