Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - Do you ever have those days...

Do you ever have those days...

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

Do you ever have those days...

Postby alice_laughed on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:27 pm

When you just crank along writing your little heart out and churn out a whole whack of pages, only to go back and read and say to yourself

What was I thinking?

None of this works. Or it might work in somehow, but really the tone is completely wrong.

We were out of town and I had all these flashes of scenes and lines and scribbled them all down. Today I sat down and started typing and I went back and read what I wrote and what I already have posted and it just doesn't fit! That drives me nuts. But when it doesn't work it doesn't work.

On another note, we had a fab weekend at a retreat. And I did get flashes of what is happening, so things are moving again. I just need to sit and rewrite. But first grade starts next week, so more writing time is just around the corner.
alice_laughed
Beta Alumni
Beta Alumni

Re: Do you ever have those days...

Postby Minisinoo on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:48 pm

It can sometimes be tough to maintain a similar tone, especially if you're new to writing. How long have you been writing? (Not necessarily fanfic, but writing fiction itself?)

Another thing I might suggest if you're working on a piece that's likely to go beyond 7500 words (the usual upper-end of a short story) is to make out a "plot arc." This is a little simpler than an outline in that it's less detailed, but it'll still help you get an overall sense of where the STORY is going -- what the driving action is, where the climax (or climaxes) are, etc. You don't have to remain chained to that story arc if you need to change it (ultimately the writer is god in her little world), but it does help provide a guide, so you know what scenes need to come next. :-)
Minisinoo
Bitten
Bitten

Postby alice_laughed on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:10 pm

oh the story is way past 25,000 words so far so ya it's a longer one. The outline is standing, but that's only the main points. I let the characters get to the main points as they will, because trying to map out everything just gets me frustrated.

I know where it's going... it's a very vivid picture in my head. Getting there... well... ya.

Writing is fun!
alice_laughed
Beta Alumni
Beta Alumni

Postby Minisinoo on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:29 pm

Getting there almost always takes longer than expected! Ha!
Minisinoo
Bitten
Bitten

Postby halojones on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:04 pm

yeah, I have those days. And my big problem is that I write and then just update right away instead of relaly thinking it over and then I'm like crap...I'm committed to the direction I just took it in...lol
halojones
Coven Member
Coven Member

Return to General Fic Discussion