Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 368

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - At what point...do you just give it up?

At what point...do you just give it up?

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

Re: At what point...do you just give it up?

Postby purpledragonfly74 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:25 am

Last edited by purpledragonfly74 on Thu May 24, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purpledragonfly74
Human
Human

Postby erinmiyu on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:30 am

Lalina wrote:Now things like grammar, spelling and tenses bother me and although I realize no work is going to be flawless, it should be as close as possible

you know i can agree with you to a point, but (i don't mean to come off as a jerk here) this is fanfiction. i don't expection near-perfection because i understand this is not a professional outlet. there are a lot of really phenomenal writers in fanfiction (some i would i even suggest to be better than a lot of current published work that is out there) with interesting stories to tell, but even so...this isn't the new yorker or even the washington post (and i feel i can use them as an example because i've done work for the latter). perfection is such a rare thing to find, and to be honest, even that is subjective (beyond spelling and tenses). different editors have different styles and would word things differently, possibly even disagree with the use of a comma here or there. that's not to say if i see someone use "waste" instead of "waist" i'm not annoyed, but i think considering the medium there's a little more room to give.
erinmiyu
Twilighted Donor
Twilighted Donor

Postby Lalina on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:17 am

I'm pretty forgiving if the story has my attention but I have to admit, I zero in on the errors, cringe and then correct them in my mind which COMPLETELY ruins the flow.

Again, I don't expect perfection (personally i think it's impossible) however there is no excuse not to run your story through the spell check and correct basic errors! If you don't have the time or the inclination (or the skill, I completely SUCK at dialogue punctuation and I don't use nearly as many commas as I should) then get a beta to do that for you.

I see tons of rec'd stories where the spelling is atrocious, or it's riddled w/ typos, or the person can't tell the difference between your/you're and I just wonder why? It can be very annoying for some of us more anal readers :D
Lalina

Postby nounbeast on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:33 pm

Last edited by nounbeast on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of the Gazebo
nounbeast
Bitten
Bitten

Postby michellephants on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:48 pm

I looooove him, but he dooooooesn't love meeeeee stretches on for an eternity, I finally get bored and turn my attention elsewhere.

That's the most epic lose for me. The constant, constant, CONSTANT misunderstandings make me want to stab my foot.

As soon as one character is like okay, he might love me.. then he's like ahh, she doesn't love me.. then shes like fuck, he doesn't love me, then he's like shit, she maybe really does love me, then ......... rambling. done. you get the picture.

I think "an eternity" is way more loose than I allow in fics. I can stand it maybe once or twice before I start pulling my hair. It's painful. In more ways than one.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
TwitterLiveJournal
michellephants
Junior Coven Member
Junior Coven Member

Postby halojones on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:53 pm

I notice that if I like a story enough to put it on alert, I usually don't give up on it consciously.

It's usually a less conscious process, where maybe I won't read the story right away when the alert comes, unlike I had previously. Maybe the amount of time I wait to read it becomes longer. Then at some point, I stop reading it altogether even when I'm still getting alerts.

I think it totally depends on the story for me actually why I do that, I don't really have a set standard. I can forgive bad grammar--if the story is good. I can forgive some cliches -if other parts of the story are creative, etc.

But sometimes, at some point, I just lose interest in whatever hooked me in the first place.

And I'm probably guilty of doing the very things those writers did in my own stories, to be honest...lol
halojones
Coven Member
Coven Member

Postby limona on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:37 pm

a. Regarding when I stop reading... if it is a story that caught my attention and I made it past the first chapter...

I will stop reading if I conclude the author has no plot and is just writing a saga that will never end.
I will also stop reading when the story is predictable, and the predictable way it is going will not be enjoyable.
Finally, I will stop reading if the story ceases to be compelling to me for some indefinable reason.

b. Regarding update time... I have no limits on that. Some stories are so good that I don't care how long it takes them to update. Like everwondering, I just keep them on my alert list.
limona
Twilighted Donor
Twilighted Donor

Postby spaniard on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:32 pm

Honestly, I am SOOOO picky deciding if I like a story that once I have chosen it, I don't give up on it. That being said, I have recently made one exception to my rule...

I was reading a pre-twilight that had Edward in London around 1930. The dialogue of the people in London was as follows: "Who be ye? Why dost ye pass here?"

After the first two lines, I closed it immediately. I can usually tolerate a few accidental out of character moments, or an occasional mistake in period, but honestly! I am not English. I have never been to England, so I suppose it is possibly that I'm wrong, but is 16th century pirate a frequent dialect there?

If you are going to write...in other words, communicate...at least get the communication in the right century!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
spaniard
Bitten
Bitten

Location: Sevilla, Montana, Salamanca, Texas...your guess is as good as mine!

Postby Lalina on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:39 am

spaniard wrote:I am not English. I have never been to England, so I suppose it is possibly that I'm wrong, but is 16th century pirate a frequent dialect there?

O M G.... seriously, this line cracked me up! I'm still giggling :rotfl:
Lalina

Postby autumn dreamer on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:28 am

I just gave up on two stories today when it came to me that every single chapter is centered around sex or thinking about sex. And there was no real plot that I could see. I don't mind reading things like The Red Line or The Submissive because, yes, they are smutty as hell, but they have a plot and character development. But when there is no plot or character development, I get bored.

Funny, at first I thought the two stories had some promise!
Legacy | | Serendipitous | Drunk Redneck Wedding | Follow Legacy on Twitter!
Ask and ye might receive an answer if I can formulate a fairly non-idiotic half way intelligent response. FormSpring.me!
I'm participating in the Support Stacie Author Auction - March 26-29, 2010
autumn dreamer
Twilighted Donor
Twilighted Donor

PreviousNext

Return to General Fic Discussion