Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - How do I help someone with fanfic addcition?

How do I help someone with fanfic addcition?

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

How do I help someone with fanfic addcition?

Postby Ellie_020 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:55 pm

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine told me that she needed help with Twilight Fanfiction addiction. She said that she was constantly reading (and occasionally writing it) and looking for new things to read and couldn't stop. She told me that she was doing this instead of things that she needed to do or even wanted to do. She also expressed that she thought about it all of the time and it's taking over her life.

She asked for me to help her and I told her to only read fanfiction during her spare time and she should only read it for an hour or two. I also told her to read books, so she can take her mind off of it. In addition to that, I told her that she should get done what she needed/wanted to do first before she ever got onto the computer.

Is this right? Does someone else have any other ideas on how I can help her? It would be really appreciated. : ) Thank you!
Ellie_020
Human
Human

Re: How do I help someone with fanfic addcition?

Postby youngmei on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:41 pm

Something similar happened to me and the only thing that worked for me was walking away from it for a while. For two weeks, I didn't even open my hotmail because I didn't want to see the alerts. It was a painful couple of weeks, but I survived. Then I told myself that I could only read on the weekends. It took me a while to get it under control, but now I don't obsess over it.
youngmei
Human
Human

Postby Ellie_020 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:59 am

Thank you so much! I'll give my friend your suggestion and hope that it works. Thank you again.
Ellie_020
Human
Human

Postby jujubakiller on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:33 pm

What helped me was when a friend of mine took me on a one week trip. In the first 2 days I was really wishing that I was back at home reading ff, but then little by little I remembered how other things in life can be fulfilling too. After I got back I limited my time reading fics. So, I guess the only way to overcome it is getting some time away from the fandom. I guess how much time depends on the person...
Anyway, something else I noticed is that I tend to read more fic when I'm unsatisfied with my life, because focusing on our problems is hard, escaping is easier. But if you don't try to overcome your problems, life won't get better by miracle. So, maybe she needs to look into her life too, on what she has to do to make it more fullfiling, more interesting.
jujubakiller
Coven Member
Coven Member

Postby Ellie_020 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:08 pm

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I'm going to show my friend this page and try to help her. Thank you so much!

3/14/12: I've shown Maci (my friend) this page and suggested she try the suggestions listed. (She doesn't belong to this forum, which is why I'm here for her.) Maci told me that she started to try, but it's difficult for her. I've tried to help her with this problem for the last few days and I can see how hard it is for her. She goes to school at home and I'm the only friend that is semi-near to her, since she lives away from the city, which is why she spends so much time reading fics. I hope these suggestions work for her....thank you to those who answered. :)
Ellie_020
Human
Human

Postby Bella_Cullen884 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:05 pm

I agree with the two other posts. Just tell her to walk away for a while and see if that helps.
Bella_Cullen884
Human
Human

Postby sandstone on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:18 am

Hello! Walking away from it for a while is probably the beast advice . She could also try only dealing with fanficting on designated times of the day. Your friend could wait until there is a empty slot in her evening or before she is going to leave somwhere , to spend some time on her computer.

Also when I become enthralled on a project , I find it easier to divide interest.
Fanfiction could be like a project or hobby to her , so she could possibly try to pick another hobby or project of interest to divide her time.

I hope that helps. Wish your friend Luck!
sandstone
Newborn
Newborn

Postby Ellie_020 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:51 am

sandstone wrote:Hello! Walking away from it for a while is probably the beast advice . She could also try only dealing with fanficting on designated times of the day. Your friend could wait until there is a empty slot in her evening or before she is going to leave somwhere , to spend some time on her computer.

Also when I become enthralled on a project , I find it easier to divide interest.
Fanfiction could be like a project or hobby to her , so she could possibly try to pick another hobby or project of interest to divide her time.

I hope that helps. Wish your friend Luck!

Thank you! I'll pass along your suggestions. :) So far, she's finding it difficult, but maybe this can help her.
Ellie_020
Human
Human

Postby sandstone on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:40 pm

Your welcome. good luck!
sandstone
Newborn
Newborn

Return to General Fic Discussion