Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - Writers! - Do those of us that Review/Post - help or hinder?

Writers! - Do those of us that Review/Post - help or hinder?

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

Re: Writers! - Do those of us that Review/Post - help or hinder?

Postby Heavens Immortal on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:51 pm

This is a great subject!!!

For me I love the reviews, and I love the attention I get on my threads. It modivates me to write more, and faster. My thing is (and I know this is completely bonkers but its my issue) that when I have a really bad writers block I need inspiration, and when that happens normally I can just look back at my reviews and go, "wow, some people out there have writen more than you and better than you, yet you still get more reviews. Stop being a baby and write. Give them what they want."

Honestly, I'm going to admit this. I'm spoiled when it comes to reviews. On FF I get a bunch, on every chapter. And when I first came to Twilighted I had virtually none. I was soooo heartbroken that my stuff wasn't good enough and no one liked it, but then the reviews came and my thread began being noticed. I was thrilled.

But for real (and this might just be me) if no one reviewed my story or jumped to my thread and started threatening me (jokingly) or chanting "UPDATE", I would have stopped writing. I know it sounds selfish, but it makes me feel great when I get a new review. =]

Basically, keep asking for more! It makes me want to give you it!!
VOTE FOR THE INDIE TWIFICS!! NOT HER IS IN THE BEST AU WIP http://www.theindietwificawards.com/FinalNominations.aspx

Heavens Immortal
Newborn
Newborn

Postby autumn dreamer on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:40 pm

Heavens Immortal wrote:Honestly, I'm going to admit this. I'm spoiled when it comes to reviews. On FF I get a bunch, on every chapter. And when I first came to Twilighted I had virtually none. I was soooo heartbroken that my stuff wasn't good enough and no one liked it, but then the reviews came and my thread began being noticed. I was thrilled.

I'm glad that someone else has noticed this too. I have more than two times the reviews over at ff.net than I do at Twilighted. At one point it was even less than that. I mean, it was really pretty pathetic. If it wasn't for the reviewers at ff.net I probably would have stopped writing and never gotten any other story ideas. Over at ff.net the least amount of reviews I have on one chapter is 20. At Twilighted, the least I have is 6. The most? 35 at ff.net and 17 at Twilighted (total 235 verse 102). What's really wierd is that my overall hits at Twilighted are about 1,800 more than ff.net.

So, WTH? Do people read at Twilighted but don't bother to register?

Wait, crap, I've just went off on a freakin' tangent because I got annoyed and I know I had a point.

Oh yeah, if you like what we're doing, SAY SOMETHING!
Legacy | | Serendipitous | Drunk Redneck Wedding | Follow Legacy on Twitter!
Ask and ye might receive an answer if I can formulate a fairly non-idiotic half way intelligent response. FormSpring.me!
I'm participating in the Support Stacie Author Auction - March 26-29, 2010
autumn dreamer
Twilighted Donor
Twilighted Donor

Postby xparawhorextwerdx on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:52 pm

I was reading on Twilighted for a few months before I got off my ass and registered, so a lot of people just read. When we're on the main page, at the 'site stats' section, it's usually got around 60/70 people down as guests whenever I'm online. I'm quite lucky, the only story I posted here actually got more reviews for the first chapter here rather than over on ff. But I'm the exception rather than the norm I think.
xparawhorextwerdx
Veteran Coven Member
Veteran Coven Member

Location: Trapped in a nightmare, where audacity is the only thing on my computer

Postby Quirkyalice on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:30 am

xparawhorextwerdx wrote:I was reading on Twilighted for a few months before I got off my ass and registered, so a lot of people just read. When we're on the main page, at the 'site stats' section, it's usually got around 60/70 people down as guests whenever I'm online. I'm quite lucky, the only story I posted here actually got more reviews for the first chapter here rather than over on ff. But I'm the exception rather than the norm I think.

Yeah, it's more difficult reviewing here, because you have to register twice. But once you get over that, I find it strange that there are more reviews on FF.
"Who did you just hang up on? In my house, on my phone?!"
[click the banner for story][Banner by the talented Anne Cullen!]
Image <--by eddiescherry
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Part two of the terrible threesome- you better believe it!Image
I found out my name is Cuileann xD omg I love it!
Quirkyalice
Twilighted Donor
Twilighted Donor

Postby Twilighter620 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Emmy wrote:Eeeeek - scary! Starting a new topic! Not done this before!
:oops:

I was just wondering. A few of my favourite stories updated last night/today & I wondered those of us that eagerly await an update & gush in your threads & in our reviews.

Does it add pressure and therefore hinder your writing & creative juices?
Or does it motivate you - knowing that people really care about your tale?

I could see how it could be either.
& I worry how on some stories, partic if the author is trying to work something difficult out or has a block - that it could be additional stress....

& I would hate that to ever happen.
What are others honest thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Oh Emmy any review from you is spectacular ;)

I will admit though, I love to leave the computer for a few hours and come back to an inbox full of reviews. It's a bit of a rush. And it makes me feel appreciated. I work very hard on both of my stories but especially Secret.

I like to get reviews even if the reader isn't particularly fond of the chapter. I remember when I first started Secret a lot of people didn't like Bella's character. It was frustrating, of course, because as a writer you want people to like your work but it was also insightful. It made me understand what they didn't like about her better.

Sometimes it can help you tweak stuff as well. There are always things I'm not entirely committed to and can change to fit the personality of the story better based on what readers tell me.

The only thing I hate getting - is after a long, hard effort in working on chapter and being pleased with how it turned out - is to receive a simple "update soon." It just feels like I'm being worked to death to write a good story but not appreciated in return.

My favorite reviews are the ones that point out specifics though, like a favorite line or little nuances. It shows how much they pay attention to the smaller details in my work and I love them for it.
ImageImage
Twilighter620
Twilighted Donor
Twilighted Donor

Postby everwondering on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:08 pm

In general, I love 99% of the reviews I receive. Even the little "update soon" ones at least make me feel like people actually want to read my story. And every now and then someone will bring something up that I'd either forgotten about or hadn't even considered.

Take today for example: one reviewer brought up the fact that my Edward was tortured by the Volturi, and wouldn't he have scars somewhere. And I honestly hadn't thought about t hat. So, I think I'll find a way to weave that into the next chapter somehow.

Anyway, yes, reviews/posts definitely help me because I'm most assuredly my own worst critic. So, it's nice to have someone telling me they liked what I wrote.
Image Image Image
everwondering
Beta Alumni
Beta Alumni

Location: on the road to crazy - i've been going there ever since I had kids

Postby DanielleG on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:20 am

When I review I am very respectful to the Author. I never flame and I don't think Flaming is very nice. I was flamed once and it was on FF.net and the person was very mean and very threatoning and I stopped posting my stories there and now I post my Stargate Fics someplace else and I plan to post my Twilight fics here.
Danielle
DanielleG
Human
Human

Postby Obsessedtwibrarian on Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:20 pm

Reviews DEFINITELY help me! They keep me motivated and let me know that there's actually someone out there who cares about this story as much as I do.

But, I must say, my pet peeve is one or two word reviews. "Great. Update soon." or something similar. I'm grateful that the reader even took the time to say a word or two, but the readers I really love are the ones who elaborate a little more. Even if they're confused about something in the chapter, or want to make a statement about what they think my happen, or even to ask a question, those types of reviews excite me.

I LOVE reading a really long review that is thoughtful and makes ME think about the direction my story is going in. Those are generally the reviews I respond to, or it could be a short review that says something unique or points out something I wanted to get across with the chapter. Sometimes, I've been known to let teasers slip in these responses because the reviewer has started me thinking.

And, OMG! Sometimes reviewers actually have caused me to change the direction of my story!! They can be very insightful and sometimes have some very good ideas that never entered my mind.

So...we love you guys who read and review! Keep it up!
Obsessedtwibrarian
Human
Human

Postby manywords on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:40 pm

As a fairly new fan fic author, I have to say I *love* reviews. I haven't gotten any bad ones yet (just one that was not 100% positive, but really still had constructive feedback). So for me, reviews make me feel excited and encourage me to write more. The whole reason I publish my fan fic is to share with other fans and reviews tell me that people have read and liked what I've written.

manywords
Some things are more certain than others… like the weather. - Alice Cullen

My stories at FF.net http://www.fanfiction.net/~manywords

Banner made by MDealsWithIt.
manywords
Human
Human

Postby sarah___ on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:35 am

I love reviews - I don't mind getting reviews that simply say 'loved it' or 'update soon' but getting the exact same review every chapter simply saying 'loved it' can be a a bit of a buzz-kill in my experience.

As for threads - I don't have the nerve to start them for my stories cos I worry noone will talk to me on it :/
sarah___
Bitten
Bitten

PreviousNext

Return to General Fic Discussion