Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 368

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 368

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - Sharing of removed fics-readers & writers

Sharing of removed fics-readers & writers

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

Sharing of removed fics-readers & writers

Postby Killerbunys on Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:45 pm

The fandom has been around long enough that there have been many classic and/or beloved fics that have been taken down by the author.

I have seen links removed by the Twilighted staff because they (and I am paraphrasing here, kids) support an author's rights to do with their fiction as they wish.

On the flip side, I have seen many, many requests and more than a little begging for links and emails of removed fiction.

Over the weekend I stumbled across a database of removed fiction. It includes some of the most popular stories out there, some of which have been gone for quite awhile.

I'm curious about how people feel about this on both sides.

Writers, if you have pulled your fiction for whatever reason, and have requested it not be archived or shared does it upset you to know it's being floated around? Is it ever okay? Obviously, if you've given permission for it to be shared this wouldn't apply.

Readers, how do you feel about fics that have gone missing, that you might be able to revisit, even if it is against the author's wishes? Is it ever okay?

Just wondering...
Killerbunys
Twilighted Donor
Twilighted Donor

Re: Sharing of removed fics-readers & writers

Postby xrxdanixrx on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:43 am

I'm in two minds. Over everything, I feel like that database wasn't created for the sake of loving fanfiction, and it was more of a "because we can" sort of thing. In regards to that, I don't like it.

However, Authors need to understand that putting your work online is bound to be copied, saved, or shared, especially ones that are popular. There are authors that absolutely demand their work not be stored elsewhere. As a result, many have pulled their other work because of that, punishing their readers. It's near impossible to determine that a story won't be shared without permission.

On another note, speaking as a writer, I think if an author asks their readers not to share their work after it's been pulled, then the right thing to do would be to respect their wishes. But what this would be is simply a request, because, as the database would show, not everyone listens or cares.

I will admit that I have a few pulled stories saved on my computer for my own reading pleasure, but I'm extremely stingy about sharing with others because I don't want it to cause a problem. Not to mention, the authors of the stories I have never (that I know of) mentioned they wouldn't like their work saved.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Stories I love:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
xrxdanixrx
Junior Validation Beta
Junior Validation Beta

Postby Lalina on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:51 am

I’ll be honest, as a writer, I don’t like it. My stories have been listed on quite a few of these lists being bandied about and it bugs me. First of all, my stories aren’t even pulled nor have I ever indicated they will be pulled so why are they being put on PULLED FIC lists?? So, since they aren’t pulled, they are available on ffn and here on Twi’d for anyone and their mother to read and I want ppl to read them where they have been posted. I put them there for a reason and expect them to STAY there and not be copied and saved on ppl’s hard drives for whatever reason. I don’t know what you are going to do with my story, and I don’t like the idea of that unknown.

If I could make sure all these lists were eradicated, I would.

I know some make the argument that we shouldn’t post online, then… well, that to me is kind of like saying you found a book at the library and felt it was ok to photocopy and distribute it because it was in a free public domain. If a writer pulls their story for whatever reason and has asked that it not be distributed, you should respect that decision. It was up and available at one point in time and if you REALLY wanted to read it, you should have done so then, IMO.
Lalina

Postby sleepyvalentina on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Public domain refers to works that are out of copyright; it has nothing to do with the physical location of the work in question.

sleepyvalentina
Twilighted Donor
Twilighted Donor

Postby Lalina on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:39 pm

sleepyvalentina wrote:Public domain refers to works that are out of copyright; it has nothing to do with the physical location of the work in question.

Original answer edited: I read this quickly and misunderstood.

I just mean for public consumption.
Lalina

Postby Raichy on Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:26 am

i can't make my mind up about this. you see, there are fics that i loved and would've liked to re-read that have bgeen removed from sites never to be seen again. but as an author i can uinderstand that people wouldn't have removed the stories without reason. And i would like to think that if i removed a story of mine that people would understand.
Raichy
Human
Human

Postby giselle on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:06 pm

If someone wants to save my fics to re-read and cares so much that they want to give them to someone else to encourage them to read my writing too, I consider it a compliment.
giselle
Twilighted Donor
Twilighted Donor

Postby Totoro on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:50 pm

To be frank, for a long time I debated on whether I would pull my work because I was going to take the basic concept of one of my stories and re-write it and then try to publish it. And by totally re-write, I mean TOTALLY re-write.

But then someone pointed out on another site that once a story is written as a fan-fiction, it will always be seen as a fan-fiction because I decided to put it out in virtual space. Since this was pointed out, I have decided against doing it. I have lots of ideas in my head for an original story, so I'll focus on one of those.

But having said that, I have pulled stories for different reasons. I've even pulled one-shots. Part of it is because I'm a very finicky person about what I write. Part of it is because sometimes I get depressed and do shit like that. Etc.

The thing is, although I agree that once a story/piece is put into space for people to read, and that a lot can happen after that - downloading or whatever, I don't like the idea that people go against a writer's wishes. It's true that I am responsible for putting it out there, but in putting it out there comes a level of great trust.

Yes, trust. Authors trust the readers to not try to change things and put it up as their own, and they trust that people have the decency and respect to not redo something just enough to try and publish it themselves. A prime example is vjgm and "Boycotts and Barflies". Like every other author out there, fan-fiction writers have to trust that people won't be that malicious. A lot of stories are very personal, and it's a very hard thing to have to see someone suffer because another person decided to lie and claim a work - fan fic or not, as their own.

Now, as an author - do I mind if someone wants to re-read something I wrote that happens to be on some list somewhere? Not too much. I admit that it's very flattering. Is it unfair for readers when something gets pulled?

Absolutely.

But here's a thought: Trust is earned. Respect is earned. And it goes both ways. As hard for a reader as it might be to see something taken down that they love, there's a beauty in respecting that the author did that and not breaking trust with them by attempting to copy work. And writers, (myself included I know) there is a certain beauty in respecting that if you put something out there and then take it down half way through or whatever, then readers have a right to be just a bit saddened and/or upset about it.

I did kick myself when I realized the facts in what the person had to say, but at the same time, I know that it's not the only story I will ever write, which helps a lot with wanting to try and publish an original work.
Totoro

Postby heavenli24 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:06 am

Totoro wrote:To be frank, for a long time I debated on whether I would pull my work because I was going to take the basic concept of one of my stories and re-write it and then try to publish it. And by totally re-write, I mean TOTALLY re-write.

But then someone pointed out on another site that once a story is written as a fan-fiction, it will always be seen as a fan-fiction because I decided to put it out in virtual space. Since this was pointed out, I have decided against doing it. I have lots of ideas in my head for an original story, so I'll focus on one of those.

That's kind of my thought too - if I ever write a novel that I want to publish, it likely won't be a fanfiction story. There is one of my stories that I think has potential, but there is so much I would need to change about it before I could publish it (like the majority of the plot), because a lot of the events in the story are based on my own experiences and it would be so embarrassing to publish that :P!

Totoro wrote:The thing is, although I agree that once a story/piece is put into space for people to read, and that a lot can happen after that - downloading or whatever, I don't like the idea that people go against a writer's wishes. It's true that I am responsible for putting it out there, but in putting it out there comes a level of great trust.

I agree - my opinion is that once it's out there in cyberspace, then you can't dictate what happens to it. Sure, if I want to pull my fics someday then I can express my wishes regarding them, but at the end of the day, if people want to share them, they will.

However, 1) I can't imagine ever wanting to pull my stories and 2) even if I did, I would be happy for other people to share them :).

Totoro wrote:Is it unfair for readers when something gets pulled?

Absolutely.

But here's a thought: Trust is earned. Respect is earned. And it goes both ways. As hard for a reader as it might be to see something taken down that they love, there's a beauty in respecting that the author did that and not breaking trust with them by attempting to copy work. And writers, (myself included I know) there is a certain beauty in respecting that if you put something out there and then take it down half way through or whatever, then readers have a right to be just a bit saddened and/or upset about it.

I did kick myself when I realized the facts in what the person had to say, but at the same time, I know that it's not the only story I will ever write, which helps a lot with wanting to try and publish an original work.

What I don't really get is why so many authors in the Twilight fandom pull their stories, or why so many are unwilling to share them?

In the other fandoms I've been involved in, I only know of 2 authors in 10 years who have pulled their stories from the internet and the reason was because they already had a publishing deal and couldn't keep their stories online (one of whom has now published 11 novels in paperback). There were a couple of other authors who got published, but they kept their fics online regardless.

Apart from that, I don't know of anyone else in those fandoms who pulled their fics from the internet - if a story was plagiarised, then it was the plagiarist who was banned and brought to shame and I don't think it was ever a consideration for the fics to be taken down or the author and readers to have to suffer because of it.

There are some stories that are no longer online, but that is due to websites gradually disappearing over the years (domain names running out, subscriptions not being maintained etc.), so the general consensus among the fandom is that everyone is free to share copies of those stories if they so wish - I can't think of any authors there who have specifically requested that their stories should not be shared.
heavenli24
Bitten
Bitten

Postby Lalina on Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:10 am

heavenli24 wrote:What I don't really get is why so many authors in the Twilight fandom pull their stories, or why so many are unwilling to share them?

It's not so much about not wanting to share, IMO. My fics are up for public consumption on 2 websites and I feel that should be good enough. I don't understand the need to copy them and save them on your hard drive. Just go and read them online if you want. And if I decide to pull my stories for whatever reason then that means I want it to disappear. I don't like the idea of unauthorized copies floating around because who knows what will happen to them?

Sure, it's flattering that someone wants to save and share it, but my preference is they use the means given to do so.
Lalina

Next

Return to General Fic Discussion