Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 368

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - What do you do when a fic disappoints

What do you do when a fic disappoints

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

What do you do when a fic disappoints

Postby edwards_girl_4_ever on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:35 pm

Have you ever have a fic you love so much, then the author gives you a plot twist that disappoints? Or they don't make a big deal out of something they have been building up?
ImageImage

Hamartia Rocks: Edward left Bella four years ago; two years ago, he dealt with Victoria and has been moping around ever since. He is a mere shadow of his former self, and the Cullens are at a loss for how to fix him, since he won’t go back to Bella. Bella’s life is a paradox; she both fell apart and flourished after Edward left her. She is estranged from Charlie and Jacob, is lead singer of an all-girl rock band called Hamartia (literary term meaning fatal flaw), and is living in Brooklyn, NY. She is now all about sex, drugs, alcohol, and Rock n’ Roll. Along with her new lifestyle came a new outlook and personality; she has a quick temper and sharp tongue and finally puts herself first. Long gone is the selfless, long-suffering Bella that Edward left behind. What happens when Alice has had enough and brings all the Cullen “Kids” to one of Bella shows? Will the “old Bella” ever come back? Will she and Edward reunite? Can he accept who she is now and what she has done? Does she want to be changed, if everything works out? Will he be willing to do it? Read and find out.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6155944/1/Hamartia_Rocks

Amends: A look at the time SM skipped over in between New Moon and Eclipse. How did Bella get back to her pre-zombie normal.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6155931/1/Amends
edwards_girl_4_ever
Senior Coven Member
Senior Coven Member

Re: What do you do when a fic disappoints

Postby dazzled eyes22 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:33 pm

edwards_girl_4_ever wrote:Have you ever have a fic you love so much, then the author gives you a plot twist that disappoints? Or they don't make a big deal out of something they have been building up?

Yes, that has happened quite a lot to me lately. I am not a writer, but I do read a lot of Twilight fanfiction.

I guess all I do is weigh if the twist ruins my zeal for the story. If I can find something that I still love about the story, I simply mention it once in a review and continue reading. If it does really bother me so much that I can't go on, I simply let the author know that I am opting out as politely as I can, thank them for the journey and wish them well. What disappoints me may please someone else and there are countless other stories out there to read.

I hope that answers your question and helps with your dilemma. Take care!
dazzled eyes22
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Postby edwards_girl_4_ever on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:38 pm

dazzled eyes22 wrote:
edwards_girl_4_ever wrote:Have you ever have a fic you love so much, then the author gives you a plot twist that disappoints? Or they don't make a big deal out of something they have been building up?

Yes, that has happened quite a lot to me lately. I am not a writer, but I do read a lot of Twilight fanfiction.

I guess all I do is weigh if the twist ruins my zeal for the story. If I can find something that I still love about the story, I simply mention it once in a review and continue reading. If it does really bother me so much that I can't go on, I simply let the author know that I am opting out as politely as I can, thank them for the journey and wish them well. What disappoints me may please someone else and there are countless other stories out there to read.

I hope that answers your question and helps with your dilemma. Take care!

Much better than simply ducking out and never saying anything as I have done.
thanx
ImageImage

Hamartia Rocks: Edward left Bella four years ago; two years ago, he dealt with Victoria and has been moping around ever since. He is a mere shadow of his former self, and the Cullens are at a loss for how to fix him, since he won’t go back to Bella. Bella’s life is a paradox; she both fell apart and flourished after Edward left her. She is estranged from Charlie and Jacob, is lead singer of an all-girl rock band called Hamartia (literary term meaning fatal flaw), and is living in Brooklyn, NY. She is now all about sex, drugs, alcohol, and Rock n’ Roll. Along with her new lifestyle came a new outlook and personality; she has a quick temper and sharp tongue and finally puts herself first. Long gone is the selfless, long-suffering Bella that Edward left behind. What happens when Alice has had enough and brings all the Cullen “Kids” to one of Bella shows? Will the “old Bella” ever come back? Will she and Edward reunite? Can he accept who she is now and what she has done? Does she want to be changed, if everything works out? Will he be willing to do it? Read and find out.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6155944/1/Hamartia_Rocks

Amends: A look at the time SM skipped over in between New Moon and Eclipse. How did Bella get back to her pre-zombie normal.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6155931/1/Amends
edwards_girl_4_ever
Senior Coven Member
Senior Coven Member

Postby LisaDawn75 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:22 pm

For me, it depends on how much the plot twist changed the story and/or how squicky the plot twist made me feel. If it's not too bad, then I will follow along for a while to see where the plot twist goes. If it's something I can't handle, I'm gone.

If I'm disappointed in something that they author has been building up to a big deal, then I may go ahead and finish the story. Typically this part will be the climax of the story, so it should be wrapping up and I'll go ahead and follow along until it ends. If it's in the middle of the story, I will typically lose interest and stop reading. I have very little time to read fanfic, so I only read the ones that really hold my interest.
LisaDawn75
Freshman Validation Beta
Freshman Validation Beta

Postby angel_gidget on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:43 pm

For me, it often depends on how much s/he updates. If they update often enough that I still see it on my queue on a regular basis, I may continue to read in hopes of seeing things get better. If not, I will probably leave off the story because I don't feel motivated to re-read and jog my memory on the events of the story since I associate it with that disappointment.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage Image Image
Image Image Image Image
angel_gidget
Human
Human

Return to General Fic Discussion